ROUGH CREEK CHURCH - PART II of III

Transcribed by Ward Oliver 1997
Coded by JoLee Gregory Spears 1997

Page 76
Ro. Creek Church				3 Sabbath June 1844
Session met & was constituted with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley.
Elders present Henry Madison, Garnett Andrews, Jno. S. Armistead, Ro. V. Glenn, Thomas Flournoy, Dr. Wm. A. Fuqua, & Wm. B. Williamson. Invitation given to persons who wished to Join our church. one came forward & was examined by Revd. Mr Hart & received by the Session. The session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannerley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S. Wm. Hannersly Mod. Ro. C. Church 3rd Sabbath Sept. 1844
Session met & was constituted with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present,
Henry Madison, Garnett Andrews, Wm. A. Fuqua, Jno. S. Armistead, & Ro. V. Glenn. Invitation as given to all present who wished to join our church three adults presented themselves and upon examination were received as members the Ordinance of Baptism
Page 77

was performed on the three members received. application was made by Mrs. Julia Harvey for dismission to Join the baptist church. Ordered to be given. Wilie Clark & his wife asked for a letter to join some other branch of our church. it was granted. The Session then closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Wm. Hannersly Mod. Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Ro. C. Church Oct. 19th 1844
Session met & was constituted with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present, Henry Madison, Garnett Andrews, & Ro. V. Glenn. invitation was given to all present who wished to join our church one presented himself was examined was received and received Baptism. The Session closed with prayer.
W. Hennersly Mod. Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Ro. C. Church Oct. 20th 1844
Session met & was constituted with prayer by Revd. William Hannersley. Elders present, Henry Madison, Garnett Andrews, Wm. A. Fuqua, Ro. V. Glenn,
Page 78

invitation was given to all who wished to join our church. Mary I. Hennersley by letter from old Concord was received, James Harris, Elizabeth Hennersley, & Miss Flournoy presented themselves and was received upon examination. The session was then closed by prayer.
Wm. Hennersly Mod. Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 79

Annual report of the Session of the Ro. C. Congregation from Apl. 1844 to Apl. 1845
8 Added on examination 2 Added by Certificate 3 Baptised infants Domestick Missions Deaths 2 Foreign Missions Education Publication Funds for Theo. Seminary Commissioners Fund 4. Baptised Adults 79 Total in communion Dismissed 4
Page 80

Approved thus far with the following exceptions, viz: Dismission is given to a member to join the Baptist Church, on page 77. And on page 100 a member is received, & the given name is omitted. On page 76, the facts are not truly stated, viz: the names of three adults, admitted to membership, are wholly omitted; & on page 77, a similar entry is made.
The Book is paged wrong. The Sessional report is neither signed by the Moderator or Clerk.
Diamond hill April 17, 1845
Saml. I. Graham Mod.
Page 81

Ro. C. Church Nov. 1st 1845
Session met and was constituted with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present Garnet Andrews, Dr. Wm. A. Fuqua, Thomas Flournoy, & Ro. V. Glenn. Mrs. Barbary Glenn was received by Letter from Hat Creek Church, closed by prayer.
Wm. B. Williamson Clerk of Session
Page 82

Annual Report of the Session of the Ro. Creek Congregation from 1 Apl. 1845 to 1 Apl. 1846
Added on Examination none 1 added by certificate Baptised infants Domestic Missions Foreign Missions Education Publication Funds for Theo. Seminary Commissioners Fund Baptised Adults Total in Communion 72 Dismissed Deaths 2 In Presbytery at Pittsylvania C.H. May 2nd 1846 & thus far approved.
Wm. C. Scott Mod.
Page 83

Ro. C. Church 1st Sabbath Oct. 1849
Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley Elders present Garnett Andrews, Doct. Wm. A. Fuqua, Henry Madison & Thomas Flournoy. at his own request Charles belonging to Mr. A. Vaughan was dismissed to join another branch of our church in Farmville, closed by prayer.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Ro. C. Church 1 Sabbath Jan. 1850
Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm Hannersley, Elders present Garnett Andrews, Henry Madison, & Thomas Flournoy at his own request Mr. Clifton G. Hamner was dismissed to join some other branch of our Church closed by prayer.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 84

Ro. C. Church 1 Sabbath Oct. 1850
Session met and was opened by prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley, Elders present Henry Madison, Thomas Flournoy, Garnet Andrews, Doct. Wm. A. Fuqua, at their own request, Peyton S. Glenn, & Martha I. Glenn now Mrs. Boram, was dismissed to join some other Branch of our Church in Missouri..
At a meeting of the Session as above of Ro. C. Church Wm. G. Miller & Mary his wife was dismissed to join at little Concorde, Also Charles a servant of Mr. Archer Vaughan dismissed to join in Farmville.
Page 85

Annual report from 1 Apl. 1846 to 1st April 1851 Added on examination Domestic Missions $8.50 Foreign Missions Education Publication Funds for Theo. Sem. Commissioners Fund $2.50 Total in Communion {56, but 37(?) is really(?) }* the number, for many have gone away out of our bounds & never attend our Church.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
*{the portion above in brackets is written over a portion of scratched - out line. I may not have copied it correctly, but feel that the meaning is clear.}
Page 86

The committee to examine the records of Rough Creek Church report that they have attended to that duty & move that they approve with the following exceptions viz that on two occasions the sessions closed without prayer, that the Sessional report does not appear to have been presented to the Session for its examination & approval, & it does not appear on the minutes that any member has been appointed either to Presbytery or to Synod for several years, or that the records themselves have been sent to presbytery for several years -
W.S. Thompson, Mod.
Nor does it appear in the above when or where the Presbytery met, and took this action!
Page 87

3rd Sabbath May 1851
Ro. C. Church
Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present Henry Madison, Thomas Flournoy, Robert V. Glenn, & Wm. B. Williamson two young Ladies presented themselves for member ship Miss Frances Hannersley, & Miss Eller Fuqua upon examination they were received into our Church. the session closed with prayer.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S. Ro. C. Church 3rd Sabbath July 51
Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present, Henry Madison, Garnett Andrews, Thomas Flournoy, on motion Mr. T. Flournoy was elected to represent us in the next Presbytery to meet in Lynchburg, The Session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm Hannersley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 88

Dec 6 1851
Ro. Creek Session met and was opened with prayer by Michael Osborne. Elders present Garnett Andrews, Thomas Flournoy, Ro. V. Glenn, Doct. Wm. A. Fuqua, & Wm. B. Williamson, thirteen persons presented Themselves for membership and upon examination was received as members of our church. names Wm. M. Fuqua, John W. White, Ro. S. Glenn, David Flournoy, Nathaniel A. Flournoy, Elbert M. Williamson, Martha A.(?) Hannersley, Martha F. Flournoy, Maria L. Fuqua, Elizabeth C. Williamson, Mildred M. Glenn, Clarissa E. Chappell, Martha A. Flournoy. motion was made & seconded that Danl. W. Williamson & wife be dismissed to join at little concorde, Session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 89

Jany 4 1852 Ro. Creek Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present Thomas Flournoy, Ro. V. Glenn, & Wm. B. Williamson. Elbert M. Williamson was dismissed at his own request to join another branch of our Church in Petersburg Va Session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hennersley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Annual report of the Session of the Ro. Creek Church to the Presbytery of West Hanover made to the Spring term 1852 | Baptisms | Funds Collected Communicants 57 | none | Added by exam. 15 | | " Cerf. none Col Communicants 3 Wm Hannersley Examined thus far in Presbytery at Farm-
Page 90

ville April 24th 1852, & approved with the following exception that the book is not paged.
Wm. C. Scott Modr.
Ro. Creek 1 Sabbath June 1852 Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present, Henry Madison, Garnett Andrews, Thomas Flournoy & Ro. V. Glenn. three coloured persons presented themselves for membership, (Henry & Christian, belonging to Henry Madison Fanny belonging to Thomas Flournoy) and were received by examination & baptized by Revd. Wm. Hannersley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 91

Ro. Creek 1st Sabbath Aug. 1852 Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present, Henry Madison, Thomas Flournoy, Ro. V. Glenn & Garnett Andrews, one coloured person presented himself for membership Raleigh belonging to Mrs. Caroline Flippin & received by examination & baptized by Revd. Wm. Hannersley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Ro. Creek 1 Sabbath Oct. 1852 Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley. Elders present Henry Madison, Thomas Flournoy, Garnett Andrews, Robert V. Glenn, Dr. Wm. A. Fuqua, two persons presented themselves Mrs. Catharine Ford and a
Page 92

coloured Man belonging to Cary A. Anderson (doctor) both were received by examination & the coloured man was baptized. Session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Annual report of the Session of Ro. Creek Church to the Presbytery of West Hanover made to the Spring term 1853.
Communicants 63 | Session met & was opened with prayer by Added by examination 6 | Revd. Wm. Hannersley after this report Session " " Certificate none | adjourned with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley Coloured communicants8 | Baptisms5 | Commissioners Fund $19.75 | By order of Session Apl. 12th 1853 Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 93

Little Concord - Apl. 15, 1853. Examined thus far and approved by the Pbty - C.R. Vaughan Mod.
Ro. Creek 2ndSabbath August Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley, members present Garnett Andrews, Thomas Flournoy, & Ro. V. Glenn. a coloured man presented himself for membership and was received by examination belonging to Marcia Morton. closed with prayer by same.
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 94

Recd. 1 October 1853 of Rough Creek congregation through their Treasurer Thomas Harvey Two thousand dollars in full for my Salary from 1st Jan 1844 to 1 Jan 1854 also sixty three dollars & 11 cents it being the amt Int in my favour and a balance of Salary for 1843
Wm. Hannersley
A copy by Wm. B. W.
Rough Creek 1 Sabbath Oct 1853
Session met & was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley, members present Thomas Flournoy, Henry Madison & Wm. B. Williamson, Henry Madison was appointed to represent us in Synod which meets at collodge Church 12th Oct. 1853 - Closed with prayer
Wm. B. Wmson C.S.
Page 95

Annual report of the Ro. C. Congregation from 15th Apl. 1853 to Apl. 4th 1854 Added on examination 1 Baptised infants Domestic Missions Foreign Missions Education Publication Funds for Theological Seminary Commissioners Fund ($10.00 I am not authorised to say it is paid) Baptised Adults Total in communion Dismissed Deaths
Page 96

Ro. Creek Aug 1854 Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley members present Dr. Wm. A. Fuqua, Thomas Flournoy, Ro. V. Glenn Ro. V. Glenn was Elected to represent us in Presbytery at Hat Creek Church closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Ro. Creek Church April 1855 Session met and was opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley, members present, Dr Wm. A. Fuqua, Thomas Flournoy, Ro. V. Glenn. Ro. V. Glenn was Elected to represent us in Presby to meet at Briery Church closed with prayer Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 97

Annual report of the Ro. Creek (followed by a blank space of about 1/3 page) Rough Creek Church
Session met Saturday before 3rd Sabbath Nov. 56 Opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley Elders present Henry Madison & Robert V. Glenn nine persons presented themselves and were received by examination viz Dr Richard Price, Thomas Daniel, Henry Daniel, Wm M. Fuqua, Thomas Glenn, Clementine Rattray(?), Eliza Mullens, Antinett Hannersley, Izabella Lee. Session closed with prayer by Revd. W. H.
Page 98

Ro. Creek 3 Sabbath Dec. 1856 Session met and was opened by Revd. Wm. Hannersley with prayer. Elders present Thomas Flournoy, Wm. B. W.mson. three persons presented themselves for membership & was recd by examination, James H. Armistead, Mrs Sarah A. Armistead, & John Chapel
Session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm Hannersley.
Wm. B. Wmson C.S.
(No pages 99, 100, 101, 102 .... out of book)

Page 103
March 30th 1857 In accordance with a publick notice given at Ro. Creek Church Session met at Wm. B. Williamson's Opened with prayer by the Revd. M.W. Jackson who in the absence of the Pastor was invited to act as moderator. Elders present Ro. V. Glenn & Wm. B. Williamson. In compliance with a request of Miss Isabelle Lee a member of Ro. Creek Church who is in regular and good standing to be dismissed to unite with the 2nd Presbyterian Church Petersburg Va she is hereby dismissed and affectionately recommended to the fostering care of that Church by order of Session
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
Page 104

Ro. Creek
Session met 1st Sabbath in Apl. 1857 and was Opened with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley, one member received by examination (Louisa Rain), Mr. James Hannersley at his own request was dismissed to Join some other branch of our church, Alabama, also Mr. Joseph R. Bailey & wife Julia Bailey was dismissed to join (blank space) in Craig County Va
Session closed with prayer by Revd. Wm. Hannersley - by order of Session
Wm. B. Williamson C.S.
(Note:This is the end of Session reports in Book One. The remainder was added later.)
Page 105

Historical sketch of Rough Creek Church, prepared by order of Presbytery, for the use of Synod, with reference to the Centenniel Celebration of its organization, to be held at New Providence Church Presbytery of Lexington, in the Fall of 1888. Prepared in the Summer of 1887.
Leaving out, in this copy, the account of the Congregation prior to its Coming into the Presbyterian Church in 1822, as given in the "Introduction" to these Records, at the opening of this volume, this Sketch begins with that date.
Rev. Samuel Armistead continued the pastor of the Church until the year 1835. On the 1st of October of that year he offered his resignation, which was accepted., "but not without reluctance, having faithfully served us for many years." (Records, page 43) Meanwhile Assistants to Mr. Armistead had at times been employed. Mr. Henry Smith, a
Page 106

Licentiate, served in this Capacity during 1828-9 and Rev. Hugh Carlisle in 1834. In 1829 Rev. James W. Douglas, an Evangelist, conducted a protracted meeting, which resulted in the addition of twenty-five to the Church upon examination, in the Autumn of that year. In 1831 another distinguished Evangelist, Rev. Daniel Baker held a meeting, as the fruits of which nine were received upon Examination. One of these was a young man named Brice A. Martin, who afterwards entered the Ministry, and was struck with paralysis while preaching, at Patrick C.H. in 1864, & died a few days afterwards. About this time the Church attained to its highest number of Communicants, numbering at one time Seventy-
Seven.
On the 20th of April 1836, Rev. George A. Baxter D.D. then a professor in Union Theo Seminary at Hampden Sidney, was invited to supply the pulpit twice a month. He accepted the invitation, and Continued to
Page 107

serve the Congregation in this Capacity, coming from the Seminary for the purpose, for about four years, - til near the close, at least, of 1840. Meanwhile Mr. Armistead was invited also to supply the pulpit once a month from the 10th of May "for the remainder of the year" (1836). This service was probably continued beyond that period, in as much as, in 1837 he appears in the Minutes of the General Assembly as still connected with the Congregation in its minutes. - In 1838 the present roomy, & substantial house of worship took the place of the old one.
For about two years, 1841-2, there appears to have been no one who supplied the pulpit for any considerable time: but Rev. Clement Read, Rev. D.H. Cunningham and Rev. M.W. Jackson preached, more or less, - the two former stated for short periods- during that interval, until the accession, in the Fall of 1842, of Rev. Wm. Hannersly, who was installed in Decr. of that year.
Page 108

Mr. Hannersly's pastorate continued for nearly seventeen years, until the 13th of August 1859. His death took place suddenly on on Sabbath evening the 7th of Octr. 1860. he was greatly revered and beloved by by his brethren, as a good man, and as a solid, earnest and edifying preacher. He delighted to labor in protracted meetings whether Presbyterian, or in the churches of other denominations. During his pastorate the number of Communicants reported in 1846 was 72. In 1851 thirteen were added at one time, and in 1856 nine at one time. At the time of his resignation the number reported was 66.
Mr. Hannersly was succeeded by Rev. John A. Moore, who began preaching at Rough Creek in the Spring of 1860, and and was installed on the 21st of June. He was compelled by declining health to cease preaching early in Jan. 1863, and died on the 7th of February, at the age of 33 years. Mr. Moore was a brother of Rev. Thos. V. Moore D.D. at that time pastor of the 1st Presb. ch. of Richmond.
Page 109

He was a good preacher and pastor, and his early death was much lamented.
After Mr. Moore's death the Church never had a settled pastor. Its stated Supplies were as follows.
Rev. J.E. Peck, from Spring 1863 to Spring of 1865. " M.L. Lacy, [from] Fall 1865 [to Spring of] 1869 (for 2 years mainly supplied by Sem. Students) Rev. A.B. Carrington Jr., Winter 1871 to June 1877. " Jno. S. Watkins, July 1877 [to] July 1878. (One year by J.A. McMurry & Jas. R. Crews, Sem. Students) " P.F. Brown, from Fall of 1879 to July 1882. " H.A. Brown, [from] 1st S. of July 1882 - to the present. In the winter 1878-9 Rev. C.M. Howard held a protracted meeting, resulting in a number of professed Conversions, and the addition of eleven members, upon profession of faith, to Rough Creek Church.
The Ruling Elders of the Church have been
Josiah Jackson - from 1822 til his death in 1840 James Madison - from 1822 til removed in 1823 John S. Armistead - from 1823 til his death in 1844
Page 110

Garnet Andrews - June 1828 til his death in 1862 Henry Madison - June 1829 til his death in 1867 Dr. Wm. A. Fuqua - June 1834 til his death in 1867 Robert V. Glenn - June 1834 til his death in 1870 Wm. B. Williamson - June 1834 til his removal Robert A. Andrews - June 1834 til his removal Thomas Flournoy - June 1842 til his removal 1859 Col. Chas. A. Raine - June 1857 til his death 1871 John A. Andrews - June 1857 til the present time Wm. G. Spencer - June 1857 til his removal in 1884x James W. Elliott - June 1857 til his death in 1880 Clem. R. Morton - June 1857 til his removal in 1866 " " " (again) - June 1874 til his removal in 1876 Dr. Jos. T. Dupuy - June 1879 til his removal in 1885 A.H. Williams - June 1879 til the present time Andrew A. Elliott - June 1882 til the present time Dr. Jos. O. Snell - June 1885 til the present time A.D. Ford - June 1885 til the present time Clerks of Session
D.W. Williamson from 1823 to 1835
______________________________________________________________________
x Wm. G. Spencer removed without the bounds of the Congregation many years before, & never met with it, but was dismissed to Village Church in 1884.
Page 111

(Mr. Williamson was not, however, an Elder) W.B. Williamson from 1838 to 1858 Jas. W. Elliott from 1858 til his death 1880 Dr. Jos. T. Dupuy from 1880 to 1885 A.D. Ford from 1885 to the present time
Board of Deacons
Chas. T. Glenn from Jan. 11th 1880 Richard F. Andrews from Jan. 11th 1880 Bezer Snell from Fall of 1882
The roll of Members from the beginning has contained 320 names, of whom 209 have been received on examination. Within the past five years, since July 1. 1882, 28 have been received, of whom 21 have been upon examination. Seven have been dismissed to other churches, and four have been removed by death, viz - Mr. D.F. Thornton Mar. 9th 1883, Mr. John D. Lipscomb in May 1885, Mrs. Mary H. Rice, May 1886, and Miss Mary C. Andrews, June 1887. The present membership is 56, of whom 6 are non-resident.
There is no record of the Sunday School work of the Congregation till the year 1865.
Page 112

Since then there have been six years in which there was no School. There has been some improvement of late years. In 1883 fifty-five scholars were enrolled. There have been great fluctuations. The great want has been that of good and faithful teachers, willing to deny themselves and attend upon the duties of the school with punctuality and regularity. There are great difficulties in the way of maintaining prosperous Sunday Schools in Congregations that have preaching but once a month.
In regard to the Grace of giving, and Systematic Beneficence, the Congregation has made some progress. For a number of years it has been the rule & custom to take up a collection every Sunday of public worship, and the Congregation is classed with those which aim to contribute annually to all the causes presented by the General Assembly. The people are leaning more & more to the Christian duty
Page 113

of worshipping God with their Substance.
In common with nearly all our Country Churches, this Congregation has suffered greatly from the Calamitous course of events since the late Civil War. Wealth has been dissipated & families broken up. Until within the past two years, for a number of years the Congregation has required aid in sustaining the public ordinances for even once a month. It is now more prosperous. The Congregations are large, and the prospects more encouraging. In the Spring of 1886 by a happy effort an organ was purchased, and under the skilful hands of the organist (a member of a sister denomination, who has kindly given us her services), this has been the means of greatly improving the Congregational Singing. On the whole, while deeply sensible of our shortcomings, we "thank God and take courage". Many pre-
Page 114

cious souls have been born again here. God's people have been Edified in the enjoyment of the means of grace in this house, and from the membership of this Church many have gone to join the General Assembly and Church of the First Born in Heaven.
Note- when John H. Rice was licensed to preach by Hanover Presbytery in 1803, one of the points to which he was sent to preach (according to the Memoir of him by Dr. Maxwell) was Rough Creek. It would seem, therefore, that the Presbyterians must have started services here at that time, although there was no Presbyterian organization, and the Presbyterian families were connected probably with Cub Creek Church.
( A note at the bottom of this page says that pages 115-217 were blank. According to the brief index at the beginning of this book, these missing pages contained praying families, p 210, and marriages, p 214.)
Page 218/219

Dismissions from the Rough Creek Church
No._Name_______________Date_______In this ch._____To the church of_______
1. | Louisa M. Thomas | | | Cub Creek 2. | Frances Williamson| | | Maysville 3. | Harriet S. Thackston| 5th Decem.1829||Buffaloe
(A note says pages 220-221 are blank)
Pages 222/223

Deaths, as occurred in the Rough Creek Church
No. Name Age Sick Disease Date 1. Miss Sarah Alday 70 say 10 yrs Rheumatism, old age 1823 2. Mrs. Elizabeth Madison 1826 3. " Frances Walker1827 4. Mr. John Leeker1828 5. Mrs. Leeker" 6. Mrs. Susan Armistead" 7. Mrs. Martha White Augst 10th  " 8. Josiah JacksonJuly 17 1840 9. Susan Williamson 1840 10. Ann RaineMay 1840 11. Mary A. Bouldin1840 12. E. Julia RaineMarch 1842 END OF PART II OF III
NOTICE: Data may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages CANNOT be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation. - JoLee Gregory Spears 1997
 GO TO PART III