CHARLOTTE COUNTY, VIRGINIA FAMILIES OF:

ATWELL, BAILEY,CAPT. THOMAS CLARK, FOSTER, GAULDING, GLINN, GREEN, GREGORY, HAILEY, HANKINS, HARDMAN, KEY, LEGRAND, LYLE, MCGEHEE MORTON, OSBORNE, PETTUS, PRIDDY, R. W. PRIDDY, WILLIAM K. PRIDDY, RALLS, RUMMELL, RICHARDSON,SPENCER, THOMPSON, VAN NESS, VAUGHN, WALTON, WATKINS, ROBERT E. WATKINS, WATSON, WEILL

The following was written by Dr. A.S. Priddy about 1910 and copied on May 23, 1973, by Walter M. Priddy, City National Bank Building, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301. Submitted to the Charlotte County of the USGenWeb Project December 11, 1997, by TOM MCARGO.

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.

* * *


Notes on Some Old Families on the Headwaters of Roanoke and Twitty's Creek and the Keysville Section of Charlotte County Compiled by Dr. A.S. Priddy of Keysville.

Page 1 Dr. Priddy was as son of Robert Washington Priddy, who was born Jan 3 1828 and died Sept 6, 1901. His mother was Martha H. Gaulding.

Dr. Priddy was a well known surgeon and historian. He served several terms in the Virginia Legislature and was Superintendent of the State Hospital. He was about 70 years old when he died about 40 years ago. The information below was compiled about 1910.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote: "The allied families of Spenser, Morton, Richardson, Lyle and Watkins: The history of these families would constitute a history of the sections of Charlotte County bordering on the headwaters of Roanoke Creek and its contributories: Hill's, Spenser's and Spring Creek, as well as the Presbyterianism in that part of Charlotte and the adjoining county of Prince Edward."

SPENCER FAMILY
Col. Thomas Spencer, the progenitor of the Spencer family, was born in 1751 and died in 1806. He entered as Second Lieutenant, Captain John Martin's Company 4th Virginia Regiment of the Continental Army for the War of The Revolution on February 23, 1778; later joined the army and served as First Lieutenant for eighteen months and was promoted successively to Captain and Major, serving in the Brigade of General Robert Lawson of Prince Edward County, in Lafayette's Division; participated in the battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Guilford Court House and in the surrender of Corwallis at Yortktown. Col. Spencer married Lucy A. Watkins on April 5, 1781 and of this union was born Susan, who married William B. Watkins: Sion, who married Mary Scott; Patsy, who married Richard Morton; William W., who married Judith Ewell; Thomas J., who married Eliza Eastham; and Elizabeth who married Capt. John D. Richardson. Col. Thomas J. Spencer, a son of Sion and Mary Scott Spencer, lived to the age of eighty-five and died in 1906 at the place of his birth, the old Spencer homestead at then Fariston P.O. in Charlotte County. Col. Spencer commanded the Charlotte Rifles, the first company formed in Charlotte County for the War between the States, in the 18th Virginia Infantry, which Regiment was among the first to engage in the First Battle of Manassas. He was later commissioned Lieut-Col. and assigned to the Reserves in the defense of Richmond in Ewell's Corps, and had the unique distinction of being the ranking commissioned officer of that great corps, the remnant of which surrendered at Appomattox, where he acted as Lieut-Gen by order of General Robert E. Lee and paroled the Corps. No other such case is recorded in history. After the war he was engaged in the commission business in Richmond and in 1891 he returned to his old home in Charlotte, where he died in the enjoyment of the affection and respect of all who knew him. He was a brave soldier and a devout Christian of the Presbyterian faith. His only surviving child is Capt. Thomas A. Spencer, now living at Houston Texas. He was a Captain of one of the companies of the Light-Infantry Blues in the Spanish War, in which he served in a way characteristic of his soldier ancestors. Another son Col, Thomas Spencer married Eliza Eastham; and of this union were born and lived to an advanced age - Dr. James T. Spencer, who died in Farmville some twenty years ago; and Mrs. Lucy Ann Morton, the widow of the late Capt. Jacob W. Morton who died in 1872.

THE ROBERT E. WATKINS FAMILY
Among the children of William B. Watkins and Susan Spencer Watkins were the late Robert E. Watkins, who lived near Keysville to an extremely old age, dying in 1896, and his sister, Mrs. Susan Watkins, widow of the late Thomas G. Watkins, who died at Keysville a few years ago.
Return to Family Records Page

THE MORTON FAMILY
Major Jacob W. Morton, a Confederate soldier and a leading citizen of Charlotte County, died at Keysville in 1911, where he had lived for many years. A daughter, Betty A. Morton married Capt. J. W. White of N.C. who settled at Eureka Mills in 1873 where he died in 1883. He was progressive and highly useful and active in the affairs of the county and state and in the Episcopal Church. His widow died in 1885.

Another son, the late John R. Morton, an esteemed citizen of Prince Edward County, died near Meherrin about two years ago. The only surviving son is Lee W. Morton, who married Miss Page Pettus of Prince Edward County in 1984. They have three sons, all well educated young gentlemen of the greatest promise, Taylor, Lee and Page. Mr. Lee W. Morton is an active and potential factor in all civic, political and religious welfare of his county. His line of the Morton family is descended from Col. William Morton of the Charlotte Malitia in the Revolutionary War in which he served with signal courage, killing with his own hand, Col. Webster, of the British Army at the Battle of Guilford Court House.
Return to Family Records Page

RICHARDSON FAMILY
From the marriage of Elizabeth Spencer to Capt. John D. Richardson, there were many distinguished descendants, and to-day in Charlotte County; to this union, many devout and useful people, both men and women can trace their descent. Capt. John D. Richardson settled in Spring Creek, about three miles northwest of Keysville in early manhood, where he acquired a large estate of land and on which he built a handsome brick home, now owned by Dr. McCorkle. He was a large slave owner, a distinguished soldier of the War of 1812, and was known as the hero of Craney's Island at Norfolk, in the battle fought by American soldiers in successfully repelling the attack of Admiral Cockburn's fleet on Norfolk. He commanded an artillery company composed of Charlotte men. For twenty-one years successively, he was a member of the Virginia House of Delegates from Charlotte County, and was for many years a member of the County Court of Justices. He was buried at his old home and on his tombstone is inscribed -- "He served his country as soldier, legislator and Justice of the Peace."
Return to Family Records Page

THE LYLE FAMILY
One daughter of Capt. John D. Richardson and his wife, Elizabeth Spencer - Julia, married Matthew Lyle, who moved from Rockbridge County in the old Timber Ridge Church section to Charlotte County in early manhood, where he and his wife lived to advanced ages in Charlotte on the County line Road near Briery Church, of which they were devout members all of their lives. He died in 1891 and his widow a short time afterwards. Of this union, only one son survives, Mr. William J. Lyle, who lives on the site of the old homestead, one of Charlotte's most useful and best citizens, who wields an influence for good in his church and community.
Return to Family Records Page

THE MCGEHEE FAMILY
At the outbreak of the War between the States, one of the most beautiful, productive and typical Southern plantations was to be found in the present Eureka estate, located on Spring and Spencer's Creeks midway between Charlotte Court House and Keysville, its then owner, Capt Simeon F. McGehee, having acquired it by the purchase of what was known as Dabb's Farm, and to which he gave a name suggestive of the beauty of the eminence on which the residence was located, Mt Airy. Capt McGehee was large slave owner and his farm was well equipped in every way, new and large grist mills and store houses, blacksmith shop, and all of which contributed to the making of a large and ideal Southern Plantation. He was born in Prince Edward County in 1820 and in 1843 he married Miss Mary A. Haskins, daughter of Col. Thomas E Haskins of Prince Edward County, and moved his residence to Charlotte, both he and his wife were of sturdy Revolutionary stock. He was active n the public affairs of the county, an old time Democrat, and by that party nominated and elected to the House of Delegates from Charlotte, where he served until the clouds of war began to gather, when he put his affairs in order to enter the army in defense of his state. He raised an Artillery Company, August 1861 for local service in and around Richmond, consisting almost entirely of boys from fifteen to twenty years of age, and after six months of service, the youngsters grew restless and requested the War Department to transfer them to the Infantry service, for active service in the field. This was done and the company became a member of the 22nd Virginia Battalion. "Capt. Mac," by reason of an old injury to his leg was incapacitated for field service, and being unable to march, he resigned his commission and was appointed Assistant Quartermaster, in which he rendered valuable service to the Confederate Government throughout the war, At the close of the war, he resumed the operation of his farm, but with his slaves freed and laboring under the burden of heavy security debts contracted through the goodness of his heart and his confidence in his friends and neighbors, he was forced to sell his farm to pay off his debts, from which he received no benefit whatever, and moved to Richmond and started life anew. He was there engaged in the Mercantile business and was elected a trial Justice of the Peace, which position he filled with credit to himself for many years. He died on Oct 24, 1894 survived by his widow and the following children, all of whom are now living, his oldest son Capt. Edward G. McGehee, now a successful merchant and farmer living at Abilene in 1861, then a boy at Randolph-Macon College at Boyton, left school, enlisted in his father's company and served throughout the war, having been promoted to Lieutenant and at the close of the war was Capt. of the company. His other son, Mr. William F. McGehee is now living at Keysville, an active and honored citizen, having for years successfully filled them position of Deputy Treasurer in Charlotte County. His daughter, Mrs. Charles King is living in Richmond.
Return to Family Records Page

THE WATKINS FAMILY
On the Keysville, Charlotte Court House Road, four miles from Keysville, lived Thomas G. Watkins of pioneer stock, who married Miss Susan Watkins, a granddaughter of Col. Thomas Spencer, of Revolutionary fame; he was a large land and slave owner and died in 1898. His widow survived him more than twenty years. He had a large family of children, of whom Mrs. R. T. Priddy, Mr. M. Lee Watkins, and Mrs. L. B. Yeaman are the survivors, now living in Keysville.
Return to Family Records Page

CAPT THOMAS CLARK
This gentleman a son of Shade Clark, a Revolutionary soldier of Lunenburg County, had the unique distinction of being a citizen and voter in Charlotte County and also in Lunenburg and Prince Edward at one time. When a young man he acquired a large quantity of land on the head waters of North Meherrin Creek, about four miles from Keysville and midway between Keysville and Meherrin, on what is now the Southern Railroad. He built a large brick residence at the corner of the three counties, in just which one was never definitely determined . He owned many slaves and under the old Freeholder's Law, prior to the Constitution of 1850, by which Freeholders were entitled to vote in any and every county, in which he owned land, it was related of him that on Election Day he would on horseback make a circuit of Prince Edward, Charlotte and Lunenburg Counties to vote. He being a Democrat of the most pronounced type. In early life he married a Miss Jordon of Lunenburg County. Many of his descendants are scattered over South Side Virginia, all of whom have been men and women of high standing. Among his male descendants were to be found as many Confederate soldiers as any family in Virginia. One of his daughters married the late Thomas W. Gee of Lunenburg County. Two of his sons are now living near Keysville: Mr. E. W. Gee, a Confederate of Staunton Hill Artillery, and Mr. Z. T. Gee one of Charlotte's best men and citizens. They both married daughters of Elijah Green of Keysville,who died in 1971.
Return to Family Records Page

THE KEYSVILLE SECTION

KEY AND WATSON FAMILIES
The founder of Keysville was Samuel Dabney Keys, was son of John Key, the original owner of the farm and town site, and he was the son of Martin Key, of Philadelphia, a descendent of Lady Jane Grey. He was allied by marriage with the Watson family, of which Capt. Ben Watson was a large land and slave owner residing in the early part of the last century about a mile and a half from Keysville on the Lunenburg line, having built in 1829 the houses in which his granddaughter, the late Mrs. John E. Eubank lived; he subsequently became the owner of the Keysville property. He married Dicey DeJarnette and had many descendants. One of his granddaughters, Louisa McCargo, married the late John E. Eubank who died in 1894, survived by her husband, who died in 1920 at Keysville, and he was survived by their son, J. T. Eubanks of Keysville and three daughters; Mrs. D. J. Gregory of Fort Mitchell, Mrs. C. W. Fowler and Mrs. Bessie Fowler of Greensboro NC.
Return to Family Records Page

THE PRIDDY FAMILY
The best information obtainable would indicate this family originated in Normandy, a Province of France, and about the time of William the Conqueror migrated from Normandy to Somerset County, England. The French name was Prideaux, and it is supposed that after having been moved to England this was anglicized to Priddy. The Dictionary of Old Families in The United States, in the State Library, Richmond, Virginia, shows that all of the Priddys who came to this country, came from Priddy Parish, Somerset, England.

The Land Grant Book in the Registrar of Lands Office in Richmond, shows that about July first 1653. one Robert Priddy was given a land grant by the King, of 377 acres of land in York County, Virginia. in consideration of bringing over from England eight persons and forming a colony, again in 1655, he received a grant of 400 acres in New Kent County for forming another colony of eight persons, and later in 1665 he was made a Captain of the Malitia and received another grant. Such records as are available suggest that these military ranks were given for service in the army against the Indians. The name "Robert" seems to have followed through all generations and is quite prevalent among the generation of the present time. Records have not been closely followed or examined from 1655 to 1812, but in 1812, Robert Priddy of Henrico County, married Nancy Dabney Francis of the same county, and immediately after his marriage went to Norfolk and enlisted in the United States Army and fought there in defense of the City of Norfolk in the War of 1812. Robert Dabney Priddy was the father of John D. Priddy, the first of this name to go from Henrico County to Charlotte County, Virginia. John D. Priddy came to Charlotte County in 1844. He had previously married Mary Merryman, the daughter of Thomas Merryman, then the owner of Keysville property, and on the death of Thomas Merryman, bought this property. He was a man of outstanding character, greatly respected in his community, especially for his high sense of honor and his strict integrity. He had a large family, the only survivors are Robert T. Priddy of Keysville, Mrs. L. A. Bailey of Keysville, Mr. Charles W. Priddy of Norfolk. After selling the property, he built a handsome home "MERRY OAKS" on the outskirts of the town, which was burned in 1920. He died January 1st 1887.
Return to Family Records Page

R. W. PRIDDY FAMILY
The younger brother of John D. Priddy, moved from Henrico to Keysville and engaged in General Merchandize business with his brother, which was successfully operated until 1874. He was later engaged in business with his nephews, R. T. and J. G. Priddy until 1882, when he retired to the comfort of his farm. In 1857 he married Martha Henry Gaulding, a sister of the late R. J. Gaulding, for many years Sheriff of Charlotte County, whose home known as "ROSELAND", now in the town of Keysville, he bought in 1874, where he lived until his death in 1901. His widow died in 1906. His surviving children: Dr. A. S. Priddy, Superintendent of the State Colony at Lynchburg, Mrs. E. W Thomas of Richmond and Mrs. J. S. Rogers of Oxford, N.C. , one son, Wm . Priddy having died in 1921.
Return to Family Records Page

WILLIAM K. PRIDDY FAMILY
A younger brother of John D. and R. W. Priddy, William K. Priddy moved from Richmond to Charlotte County in 1859, he having married Miss Lucy Ann Carter of Prince Edward County. He was a Confederate soldier of the Staunton Hill Artillery and died in Prince Edward County 1905, his widow surviv- ing him about fifteen years. The surviving children are: J. C. Priddy the popular Sheriff of Charlotte County, Mrs. J. H. Ingram of Keysville, Mr D. L. Priddy of Prince Edward County, and Mrs. J. W. Thompson of Emporia, Virginia.
Return to Family Records Page

THE GREGORY FAMILY
Dr. F. J. Gregory, for fifteen years a beloved physician and useful citizen of Charlotte and adjoining counties, located in Keysville in August 1860. His father was Cephas Gregory of Mt. Zion Church, Lunenburg, and his mother a Miss Lee, the Gregory and Lee families being among the oldest and most prominent in that county. He graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1859 and in 1863 married Miss Ellen Wooten a daughter of ----- Prince Edward County In 1861 he entered the Confederate Army, serving as a Lieutenant in the Staunton Artillery, and assistant Surgeon with the rank of Captain in the Medical Department. In these capacities he rendered efficient service throughout the war. With the exception of this interim, he practiced medicine in the Counties of Lunenburg, Charlotte, and Prince Edward with the greatest success for fifty years. In 1860 he joined the Keysville Lodge A. F. & A. Masons, and was for nearly forty years, Master of the Lodge. On the establishment of the Public School System in Virginia, he was appointed a member of the School Board for Walton District, and was made its Chairman, serving for nearly forty years. To his personal influence and activities much of the success of inauguration of the Public School System in his District is to be attributed. He died in February 1910 and his widow in 1912, leaving the following children. Mrs. R. D. Garland of Richmond, Mrs. A. G. Van Ness of New York, Lucius Gregory of Chase City. Mrs. Thomas H. Williams of Richmond and Mr. E. T. Gregory and Mr. F. H. Gregory of New York; and one son, Dr. Floyd J. Gregory , who died at Keysville January 1922. Of all of this large and prominent family, only Mr. E. T. Gregory has legal residence at Keysville.
Return to Family Records Page

THE OSBORNE FAMILY
Mr. J. M. B. Osborne a native if Charlotte County and one of the most esteemed and useful citizens, moved to the Keysville section of the county about 1850, his father John Osborne, having bought a large estate on Twitty's Creek, about four miles south of Keysville, on the old Richmond and Danville Rail Road, on which he built a handsome home. He married Miss Martha E. Hundley, a daughter of Elisha E. Hundley . . . . . one if the most prominent, and probably the wealthiest man who ever lived in Charlotte County. He resided there until 1885 when he removed his family to the town of Keysville, where he lived until his death in June 1893. He was a large property owner a devout and active leader in the M. E. Church, South. His career was a long, useful and beneficial one. His widow died in 1903, after a long life, in which she was beloved of all who knew her. Of this union there were six children who lived to mature manhood and womanhood, of whom the Hon. Chas A, Osborne, State Purchasing Agent of Richmond, who maintains his residence at Keysville, is the only survivor; the daughters, Mrs. R. H. Wilson, Miss Pattie Osborne, Mrs. E. Stanley Jeffress and Mrs. Carl Beasley, and one son Mr. Patrick Henry Osborne a useful and popular citizen having died.
Return to Family Records Page

THE PETTUS FAMILY
The head of the present Pettus Family in this section of Charlotte County, George W. Pettus was born at the ancestral Pettus home on Twitty's Creek about five miles from Keysville where he lived until 1875 when he sold his old home and bought the estate settled by Capt. John D. Richardson on Spring Creek, about three miles from Keysville. He was the son of Capt. Overton Pettus, who was born in 1769 and died in 1850. His wife, Elizabeth Hundley Pettus was born in 1809. He first married Elizabeth Eubanks, and of this union was born John Overton Pettus. He was a Confederate soldier and was killed in the battle of Kernstown, he and his first cousin, F. P. Eubanks of Lunenburg were killed by the same shell. After the death of his first wife, he married Ann Richardson Fore. He died April 19, 1877, and his widow died November 9, 1886. Of this union six children reached man and womanhood. Wyatt C. Pettus, the oldest son entered Staunton Hill Artillery at sixteen years old and served until the end of the war. A few years after its close he moved to Missouri where he married and had five children, who are now living. In 1909 he returned to Virginia and died at the home of his brother Mr. R. E. Pettus of Keysville in 1917. A second son Chas H. Pettus, also a Confederate soldier, married Miss Ann McNinny. Both her and his wife have died, leaving two children; Mrs. S. G. Anderson of Prince Edward County and Henry O. Pettus of Petersburg, Virginia. The third son, Richard E. Pettus was born September 5, 1857. He was married to Miss Bessie B. Averett of Clarksville in 1885. After the death of his parents, he bought the old home and resided there until he sold it to Dr. McKorkle in 1910, then buying the Davenport place at Keysville from James A Bailey. He was upright, useful and highly esteemed citizen. He died in February 1918, leaving four sons and two daughters, one daughter, Mrs. Rose Hoffman having proceeded him to the grave. His surviving children are: Mr. George O. Pettus a prominent merchant and farmer of Keysville, Mr. R. E. Pettus Jr. of Colony Va., Mr. Lewis Pettus of Washington, Michigan, Mr. Hunter A. Pettus of Richmond, Mrs. Frank Jett of Richmond and Mrs. Ann Wood. Of the large family of George W. Pettus, Mrs Mollie B. McGehee, the wife of Mr W. F. McGehee of Keysville is the only survivor, they have one daughter, the wife of Dr. Hugh C. Henry of Petersburg, the oldest daughter Miss Cora Pettus having died in 1886., and another daughter Mrs. Emma Winston Watkins, the wife of S.T. Watkins died in 1887. She left one daughter Mrs. E. M. Madden, now living in Alexandria Va. Thomas Pettus, the first of the Pettus family in Virginia settled in York County in 1640.
Return to Family Records Page

THE HANKINS AND FOSTER FAMILIES
The family names of these pioneers in what is now the Walton district are now practically extinct in this section, not one of these lines bearing the names of Foster or Hankins are to be found. The head of the Hankins family was Daniel Hankins, who owned a large tract of land extending practically from Ash Camp Creek to the present Briery-Eureka Road. He was large slave owner and his house was located on the hill overlooking Spring Creek, about two miles from Keysville, which was burned in 1871. He was a soldier of the War of 1812 in Capt. Richardson's Artillery Company. He married a Miss Toombs, a first cousin of the illustrious Robert Toombs of Georgia. His wife was famous for her skill in making corn bread, the meal for which was ground at their mill on Spring Creek. It is a tradition that at some fair held in the city of Richmond, she won first prize. They had many sons and daughters. The sons for the most part received biblical names, such as Ezra, John, Uriah and Hiram. Only three of the sons married - Ezra, the father of Mr. Henry Hankins, Mrs. A. W. Keeling, Charles P. Hankins and Mrs. Jennie Minor of Keysville and George Hankins of Richmond, all of whom are now dead. William Hankins born in 1807 was baptized at Ash Camp Church, now the Keysville Baptist Church, then located on the site of the residence of the late E. C. Jones; in 1833 he moved to Pittsylvania and Franklin Counties to teach school, where he studied for the ministry and preached his first sermon in Ash Camp Church in 1834. He became a minister of such eminence in the section to which he moved, that he is accorded a lengthy sketch in Dr. George Braxton Taylor's book " Virginia Baptist Ministers." Another son, Capt. Hiram Hankins, lived near Keysville, was twice married. One of his wives was a Miss Breedlove of Charlotte County. He was a gentleman of the highest character, a slave holder and a devout member of the Baptist Church. He died in 1878. He had four sons, the oldest, the Hon. James D, Hankins was a leading citizen of Halifax County, which he represented in the House of Delegates of Virginia. The other sons being - Jacob, E.R. and D. F. Hankins. The latter a prominent citizen of Halifax C. H., being the only survivor. The Foster and Hankins families were aligned by marriage. The head of the former family was George Foster, who lived on Ash Camp Creek, about a mile from Keysville and was a large property owner in his day. He had the distinction of living to be a centenarian, and was known as "Sir George" and was highly esteemed as a man of intelligence, high character and piety. He was born in 1768 and died in 1871. He left one son, the late James A. Foster, who died of old age about 1883. He was generally known as "Squire Foster" as he was long a Justice of the Peace. From early manhood until his death he was a Deacon in Ash Camp Church.
Return to Family Records Page

THE VAUGHN FAMILY
One of the very best citizens Charlotte County ever had was the late Capt. Josiah Vaughn, who owned a large farm on Ash Camp Creek, and was a captain in the Confederate Army, a leader in the presbyterian Church, and active in the civic, political and religious life of his county. He served as clerk of the school board of Walton District from the inauguration of the Public School System in Virginia, until his death in the early part of 1880. He married Miss Ellen Bruce, a daughter of Samuel Bruce of the Mt. Zion section of Lunenburg . He had two sons and two daughters: Mrs. L. S. Jackson of Drakes Branch. Mrs. Bessie Spence - Mr. J. Bruce Vaughn, who now owns and lives on the old family homestead, and the late Josiah Vaughn of Richmond.
Return to Family Records Page

THE LEGRAND FAMILY
The late Samuel LeGrand, a member of the Legrand Family of Huguenot descent, which settled in Appomattox County, moved from that county to Charlotte in the forties and married Miss Martha Crawford. He settled on Ash Camp Creek, almost three miles above Keysville . He was a man of high character and piety. He had three sons, the eldest of whom, the late Wm Archer Legrand was a Confederate soldier, as was his father. Another son, James Legrand, died in one of the western states some years ago. Mr, Thomas Legrand, the only survivor of the family is now living in Keysville. Mr. Samuel Legrand died in 1900 and his widow survived him about fifteen years.
Return to Family Records Page

THE RALLS FAMILY
No notice of the families of the Keysville section would be complete without reference to the late George M. Ralls, a native of Albemarle County, a soldier in the Mexican War and an officer in the Confederate Army; he was noted for his wit and intellect. He moved to Charlotte immediately following the Mexican War, married Martha Clark, daughter of Capt. Thomas Clark, and lived until 1884 at Keysville in the house afterward owned by the late Mrs. James H. Davis. He had two sons, T. O. and Edward Ralls, both of whom are now living in North Carolina, and three daughters; Misses Lou, Verona and Flora, who are mow living in Richmond. He moved to Greensboro N.C. and later to Richmond, where he died at an old age in 1891, his widow surviving him several years.
Return to Family Records Page

THE BAILEY FAMILY
The brothers, Captains John R. and Armstead W. Bailey, natives of the Turnip Creek section of Charlotte, located at Keysville some years before the beginning of the War Between the States. Capt. Jno R. Bailey was for more than sixty years a man of the greatest usefulness in his community, as well as in the county. He was possessed of a good mind and heart. He was always ready to help those in distress of any kind. He was, before the war, a member of the Board of Magistrates, then constituting the County Court. he had a legal mind and was a practical student of law. He wrote practically all of the Deeds, Wills and other legal instruments of writing for his neighborhood, and it has been stated by members of the Bar of Charlotte County that during his long career, no litigation ever resulted from any paper he prepared. As Captain in the Reserves, he commanded the Charlotte Artillery in the brilliant victory which was won for the most part by Reserves, consisting of old men and boys, in the Battle of Staunton River Bridge, on June 25, 1864, in which many of the Regulars, composing Generals Wilson and Kurtz army of invaders, were killed and the entire army driven off. He served with the greatest fidelity and efficiency, Walton District, as Supervisor from 1870, until his death in 1906, which occurred in his eighty-sixth year at his home near Keysville. He married his cousin, Mollie Kate Bailey, and had a large family, only two sons of which are now living - Thomas J. and John A. Bailey of Keysville, his widow having died in 1909. Capt. Armistead W. Bailey, a brother of John W. Bailey, was a man of great personal popularity which was evidenced by the fact that he raised and commanded as Captain, Company "K" known as the Keysville Guards of the 23rd Regiment, the first volunteer company to enter service from Charlotte County. After taking his company into service, he resigned command and came home and raised another company known as Company "B" 22nd Battalion, of which he was made Captain and took into service. His death occurred in 1863, from Typhoid fever contract in service.
Return to Family Records Page

THE GREEN FAMILY
Just before the outbreak of the War between the States, Mr. Elijah Green, moved from Charlotte C.H. to Keysville, and established a tannery, which he operated throughout the war for the Confederate States Government, and after its close, he continued its successful operation until his death in 1871. His widow, Mrs. Mary Green was one of the most popular women of the neighborhood. She died in 1885, her two daughters - Louisa and Susan, married the brothers E. N. and Z. T. Gee. Mrs. Z. T. Gee died within the last year. Mr. Green was succeeded in his business by his nephew, William Beverly Green, who was a popular and highly esteemed citizen, and a man endowed with a wonderfully brilliant mind. He married a daughter of the Rev. Elijah Roach of Madisonville, who was for fifty-four continuous years, Pastor of Salem Baptist Church in the Madisonville section of Charlotte County. He died in 1899. Mr. Green spent his last years with his daughter, Mrs. Leila Gee Richardson, in St. Paul, Minn, dying in 1919 at the age of about eighty-eight years.
Return to Family Records Page

THE HAILEY FAMILY
This family were among the first settlers in what is now the Ontario section of Charlotte and Lunenburg, acquiring a grant of land now belonging to some of the descendants of the original settlers. The Haileys, now prominent in the affairs of Charlotte, living at Keysville and Ontario, were descendants of two brothers - Andrew Jackson, and Ambrose Hailey . Andrew Jackson Hailey was commonly known as "Old Hickory." He married Amelia Chockley. A son, J. Edward Hailey, died at Ontario about eighteen months ago the age of eighty- five years. He married a daughter of William A. Ward, whose father was a Revolutionary War soldier, and was at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. Mr. Hailey served throughout the war as a Confederate soldier in Company "K", 23rd Va. Regiment, Stonewall Jackson's "Old Division" and was wounded in battle. The Hailey and Ward families furnished as many soldiers to the Confederacy as most any family that can be found. An uncle, Richard S. Ward, lost an arm in the battle of McDowell in 1862. He was an upright man and a good citizen. Mrs. J. E. Hailey died more than five year before her husband. Of the large family of children, three sons are now living and are among the prominent and influential citizens as well as successful business men of Charlotte County. C. M. Hailey, and R. T. Hailey live at Ontario. They are large proper owners and farmers and merchants. C. M. Hailey for more than thirty years been a member of the School Board of Walton District. R. T. Hailey has for some years been Supervisor of Walton District. William E. Hailey lives at Keysville and is a merchant and for eight years of President Wilson's Administration, was Postmaster at Keysville. He was elected to the House of Delegates from Charlotte County in 1923 without opposition in the General Election. They are all active member of the Baptist Church and potential factors in the business and political life of the County. Mr. W. J. Hailey, the son of the late James W. Hailey, a descendant of Ambrose Hailey, is a successful merchant at Keysville.
Return to Family Records Page

THE WALTON AND GLINN FAMILIES
No history of Walton District, nor on fact of Charlotte County, and her brave and patriotic sons, would be worthy of their memory without reference to the career and patriotic service of Dr. Simeon P. Walton, a resident of Keysville and a Confederate soldier. He was born at Sandy River Church in Prince Edward County a son of William Walton of Revolutionary stock, who graduated in medicine in 1851 and located at Keysville soon afterwards, where he engaged in practice until the outbreak of the war. He married Araminta Glinn, a sister of William R. and German R. Glinn, who were natives of Richmond. In this connection it may be said that G. R. Glinn as a Confederate soldier served in the First Virginia Regiment and had his leg shattered by a bullet in the Second Battle of Manassas in 1862 and went on crutches until his death in 1923. He succeed his brother, W. R. Glinn, a successful merchant in business at his death in 1871. He was twice married - first to Miss Emma Williams and afterwards to Miss Fannie Wood. There were large families of children by both unions, none of whom are now living in Charlotte; his widow is living at Keysville. At the outbreak of the war, Dr. Walton, a taciturn and devout member of The Disciples Church was imbued with the belief of the Right and Holiness of the Southern Cause. With him duty was the sublimest word in the English language. He fought with the conviction of Stone-wall Jackson and Oliver Cromwell. He was active in organizing and drilling the Keysville Guards which became Company "K", 23rd Va. Regiment, Telliaferro's Brigade and Stonewall Jackson's "Old Division." He was elected 2nd Lieutenant of his company, which was mustered into service on May 21st 1861. He fought under Gen. Stonewall Jackson in the disasters of Laurel Hill and Cheat Mountain, at First Manassas and in all of his campaigns, to the time of General Jackson's death. He was killed at the Battle of Mine Run in November 1863 while recklessly exposing himself. While it is not a matter of record, it was generally reported, believed and known that a commission of Brigadier-General had been issued for him on the day of his death. Gen. Talliaferro pronounced him the bravest and best officer he ever knew. Walton District is honored by his name.
Return to Family Records Page

THE WEILL FAMILY
In Keysville, as in most small southern towns, there was a Jewish merchant, who was popular personally and as well as a business man. In this capacity, Isaac L. Weill located a store at Keysville in the fifties; he married Wilhemina Weill one of the most beloved women who ever lived in that section. They had three children, Samuel, Hannah and Adolphus Weill, who was educated at the University of Va. and is now one of the most eminent and successful Corporation lawyers in the United States, living at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mr. Weill had two brothers in the Confederate army, one of them Sam Weill went into service as a private in the Charlotte Rifles, which participated in the 1st Battle of Manassas, his Capt. Co. Thos J. Spencer pronounced him the bravest soldier he ever knew.
Return to Family Records Page

THE GAULDING FAMILY
Richard J. Gaulding. a son of Richard and Mary Wilbon Gaulding was born in 1827 in Prince Edward County Va.. He was raised in Charlotte, was a grandson of Jesse Gaulding, a Revolutionary soldier from Prince Edward County. When a young man he entered the store of Mr. Isaac Overby at Mossingford as a clerk and later married his daughter, Kate. About 1852 he moved to Keysville where he and his father-in-law conducted a large store under the name of Overby and Gaulding. He built a handsome home in what is now the outskirts of Keysville, known as "Roseland"; was a large slave and land owner. He was elected Sheriff of Charlotte County about 1855 and with the exception of an interim of one term, he held this office until 1884. He had three daughters and two sons, who reached manhood and womanhood: Hunter E. Gaulding, the only survivor of them is now living in Texas. Two of his daughters, Lillie and Mattie married Mr. Charles I. Phillips of Richmond. His youngest daughter, Ruby, married Mr. W. H. Gamble of Keysville. His youngest son was Mr. James W. Gaulding He had four sisters: Mrs. James A. Bailey, Mrs. R. W. Priddy, Mrs. D. F. Hodges and Mrs. S. R. Tuggle, the wife of S. R. Tuggle of Keysville, she being the only living one - living at "Roseland" which Mr. Tuggle bought in 1905. The only adult Gaulding now living at Charlotte is Mr. D. S. Gaulding Mayor of Keysville, a cousin of Mr. R. J. Gaulding Mr Gaulding was one of the most popular officers and citizens who ever lived at Charlotte. Two nieces, Mrs .H. D. Peters and Mrs. E. S. Fitzgerald now reside at Keysville. An older brother, William Gaulding died in 1855.
Return to Family Records Page

THE ATWELL FAMILY
Mr. C. a Atwelll, a son of Francis Atwell, an old-time school; teacher, was born in Charlotte County about 1820. He married Pauline Duffy, and settled on the Duffy farm on Spring Creek near Keysville. The Atwell family was of good old pioneer yeomanry. He was a Confederate soldier and died in 1904. His wife died in 1889. The following sons and daughters are living on the Atwell homestead. James F Atwell, Floyd D. Atwell, W. L. Atwell, Misses Mittie and Mattie Atwell. One son, Mr. W. L. Atwell having died.
Return to Family Records Page

THE HARDMAN AND RUMMELL FAMILIES
In the fall of 1874 Michael Hardman and Frederick Rummell, two neighbors and friends from New Philadelphia, Ohio, where they owned considerable property, moved to Keysville, having bought the Keysville estate from John D. Priddy. They proceeded to survey the farm and townsite into streets and lots and the development of the town promptly followed. Mr. Hardman and his family lived at Keysville until 1878 when they returned to Ohio. Mr. Rummell and his wife remained until their deaths, that of the former occurring in 1896 and of the latter some ten years ago. They were both good citizens and enjoyed the friendship of the public generally. Mrs. Rummell was the daughter of a Revolutionary soldier, who served at Gen. Washington's Headquarters during the war. They had two married daughters who also moved to Keysville - Mrs. R. W. Gamble and Mrs. C. W. Walton. The former returned with her husband to Ohio and died in 1880. Mr. C. W. Walton served as Postmaster at Keysville from 1877 to 1885 and made a highly acceptable officer. They had four children, the oldest, Miss Flora A. Walton, a well educated and accomplished young woman who was generally beloved. She died in 1884. James P. Walton married Miss Jessie Thompson, a daughter of Mr. Edward Thompson, of Keysville, both of whom now live at Providence Rhode Island. Miss Annie Walton, the younger daughter, is living in Washington, where she has made her residence for many years. Frank Walton in now living at Keysville. Mrs. Walton died more than two years ago. She was an estimable woman and much loved by her neighbors. Miss Alice Rummell, an adopted daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Frederick Rummell, married Mr. W. Floyd Clarke at Keysville, who conducted a store there for many years. He was a brave and loyal Confederate soldier throughout the war, and an active and devout member of the Methodist Church. He died in Chase City about five years ago, where his widow still lives.
Return to Family Records Page

THE VAN NESS FAMILY
In the spring of 1877, the Hon. A.L. Van Ness and his wife Ella Gifford Van Ness move from Washington D.C. to Keysville for health reasons affecting Judge Van Ness. They bought a part of tire old Gaulding estate and established a home about a mile from Keysville. They both proved to be delightful people of education and refinement and became at once identified in every way with the community and contributed much to its civic, social and religious life Judge Van Ness and his wife were natives of New York, he having served as a Federal soldier in the War between hew States. He was a graduate of Union College, New York and a lawyer by profession., In 1879 h was elected Judge of the County Court of Charlotte Co., which office he filled for six years with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the public. At the end of his term, he resumed the practice of law and successfully conducted his farm. The family were active member in Briery Church in which he served as an elder during his residence in Virginia. they ave three living sons: A. O. Van Ness, who married Miss Mamie Gregory, a daughter of Dr. F. J. Gregory; and they are now living in Hastings on the Hudson, New York;. Walter A. Van Ness, a law partner of his father, in New York City. He married Miss Marie Trevilian of Williamsburg; and Lewis Van Ness, now a prominent business man in the city of Chicago. In 1898, their sons having located in business in New York, much to the regret of all of their neighbors, and to the public generally, they removed to New York City, where they have since resided. Mrs. Van Ness died about two years ago. The Judge and all of his sons show their attachment to Virginia and her people by frequent visits to Keysville.
Return to Family Records Page

THE THOMPSON FAMILY
Among the other Northern families who located in Keysville after the War between the States, were Mr. and Mrs. Edward Thompson. Mr. Thompson was a good citizen who engaged in the real estate and immigration business and caused many northern settlers to locate at Charlotte Co.. They had the daughters, two of whom are still living, Mrs. Lillie Smith at Seattle, Washington and Mrs. J. P. Walton at Providence R. I. Both Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are now dead.

The above was written by Dr. A.S. Priddy about 1910 and copied on May 23, 1973, by Walter M. Priddy, City National Bank Building, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.
Return to Family Records Page

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.