Red House is located at the junction of highways 727 and 615 in the northwest corner of Charlotte County. John Wheeler came from Louisa County Virginia about 1772 and purchased 639 acres of land in Charlotte Co. John Wheeler was a farmer as well as licensed to operate an "ordinary" from his home 1804-1811. Another tavern in the same area was owned by Martin Hancock, who bought land in 1801. He was not licensed to operate a tavern until 1828, but he built the tavern in 1813, painted it red, and itís believed this is where the village received itís name.
-Shelley D. Lee, March 1997