Return to Charlotte County Old Homes Page

Return to the Charlotte Co., VA Home Page

(This page was last updated )

Capt. Thomas Pettus House

Photo taken about 1972, courtesy of William Walker Pettus IV

Article courtesy of Charlotte County Rich Indeed, 1979, pp 431,432:
   "Located .1 mile north of State Route 59, 1.1 miles east of intersection with State Route 654.
   "Capt. Thomas Pettus built this 1 1/2-story frame house circa 1765-1770. This house had four rooms. Chimneys were at each end of the house. The wainscoting is bordered by a six-inch baseboard and a six-inch board below the chair rail. The mantels are plain. The original plaster remains intact. Two wings have been added — one in 1921-22 and the other about 1940. Two out-buildings have survived from an earlier era. Owners [in 1979] Mr. & Mrs. Gordon S. Bass."

   Charlotte County Rich Indeed, p 388 shows Waverly is also referred to as Lee Place [no further information given].

   Charlotte County Land Tax Records [LVA] for the year 1853 show that 658 acres was transferred to John H. Lee from Thos Pettus estate land. A value of $1000 was added for buildings (a figure that was above average for the time and place), suggesting the Thomas Pettus home site was on the 658-acre tract. The record shows the tract was located 7 miles SE of the courthouse, on Ash Camp Creek and Bentley's Branch. John H. Lee was still taxed for this land and buildings on records of 1870.

   "Harrison Lee" appears on the 1864 Gilmer map of Charlotte Co. in the vicinity of the land taxed to John H. Lee. It would appear they were one and the same individual as there was no land taxed to "Harrison Lee" during those years.