The Bailey house was
built in 1874 for Phillip and Laura Jane (Gregory) Duke,
on land owned by Laura's father, Josephus Gregory. After
Laura's untimelly death in 1877, leaving two infant
children, her father made
his will, putting the land in trust for her children,
the rents going toward their support and education.
When they came of age, the land was sold to Marables,
who apparently rented the place until it could be purchased.
From Dr. William H. Marable, the place passed to his
only son, William Irvine Marable.
The house is now owned by Larry "Pop"
and Debbie Bailey. It is located in southwest Lunenburg
County on Rt 631, Meherrin River Rd., near Mitchell
Creek, between Five Forks (on Rt 632) and Mt Zion Church
(on Rt 630).