The above historical home located, on Rt 632, Newcomb Bridge
Road near Five Forks is, in 2005, owned by
David and Jane Marquet.
Newcomb Bridge Road historically was approximately
Saunders Road (see
Elmwood stands majestically on part of a 708-acre tract
of land purchased by Jesse
Saunders in 1768 from Susanna Fleming of Cumberland County,
who inherited it from Hugh Miller, the original patentee. Saunders
apparently was the first to reside on the land.
After the death of Jesse Saunders, the home portion of the
tract passed into the hands of his son Robert. Here, Roberts
Saunders reared his family. Some time after the death of Robert
Saunders, the tract was sold to John A. and William T. Spencer.
The land was further split by the Spencers, the home portion
being retained by William
T. Spencer. Elmwood, believed to have been built
by Robert Saunders, has had various owners before the present