VAGenWeb Lunenburg Co., VA

Page updated March 31, 2008

JoLee Gregory Spears, coordinator



Photograph by June Banks Evans

Antioch Church

See 1864 Gilmer Map, Section 19

Current Topozone Map 36/50/08N 78/05/20W

Link to Antioch United Methodist Church added February 3, 2007

The original part of the building now known as Antioch United Methodist Church (Route #138 at Route #610) is thought to have been constructed ca 1806 (correction by June Banks Evans) was constructed in 1857, about a half mile north of an acre deeded on June 9, 1806, from John Christian to John Blackwell, Sterling Neblett, and Thomas Adams as trustees in behalf of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The acre conveyed, situated on Harperís Road near Christianís residence, was designated as the site of a new meeting house, free for use as a school when it was not occupied for divine worship. Today, the church and its grounds are maintained by an active congregation that is interested in its history. (Research of June Banks Evans)