Return to VAGenWeb Lunenburg County Project

or Return to the VAGenWeb Mecklenburg Project

Jo Lee Gregory Spears

October 11, 2008

John Gregory Land In Mecklenburg Co., VA


This 400-acre tract was conveyed by patent in 1758, to Samuel Goode; sold in 1759 
to Branch Tanner and in 1779 to Matthew Marable.  From Marable's estate 
the tract went to daughter Elizabeth, who married Philip Whitehead Jackson.  
Philip Jackson and wife sold it to her brother Richard Marable in 1795, who in 
the same year sold it to John Gregory. 


The only land measurements are in the original patent, and not true enough for 
a good plot.  Land records do show that his land adjoined both his father, Joseph 
Gregory, and Capt. John Bigger.


All but the first of the nine children of John and Elizabeth Gregory were 
born between the date of purchase of this tract and the date land and tax 
records show he had moved to his Lunenburg land.


In 1816, John Gregory moved to land he had acquired on the Lunenburg side of 
the river. He held on to the Mecklenburg tract until he sold to Thomas Gayle, 
part in 1829, and the balance in 1832. Gregory family letters show the part sold in 
1829 belonged to John Gregory's son Jackson, who had moved to North Carolina.  
  

Meck DB 24:29; 5 Oct 1829; 20 Oct 1829
John Gregory and Elizabeth his wife of Lunenburg
to Thomas Gayle of Mecklenburg
$424.50

283 acres on waters of South Meherrin adjoining John Gregory, estate of 
Edward Jones dec'd, Lewis Burwell and others.  Likely, the portion of the 
estate bounding John Gregory was land that Joseph Gregory conveyed to 
Edward Jones in 1807.
 

Meck DB 25:44; 20 Jan 1832;20 Feb 1832
John Gregory and Elizabeth his wife of Lunenburg
to Thomas Gayle of Mecklenburg
$420.00
267 acres adjoining Thomas Gayle, John Bigger, and land belonging to estate of
Edward Jones.

  
Copyright 2000 JoLee Gregory Spears