VAGenWeb Lunenburg Co., VA

Page updated August 19, 2005
Return to VAGenWeb Lunenburg Home Page

JoLee Gregory Spears

Lee Hall

Home of the Rev. Henderson Lee
Lunenburg Co., VA

Submitted by Stephen and Pat Israel 30 Nov 2003

Submitted by Stephen and Pat Israel 30 Nov 2003
The Gilmer 1864 Map/Residences of Lunenburg County

Section Nineteen

Explanation of "Mrs. Lee" notation.

Barely legible, the name Mrs. Lee is listed and location of residence indicated on an extension of Flat Rock Ck Road (not indicated) which later became Brickland Road (SR 613). On the map Mrs. Lee and her home site are indicated just east of Beaver’s Pond Creek. Other nearby sites indicated include the Moores, north of the same road, east of the Lees, and Spring Hill Church which is due east. Also indicated on the Gilmer map, but not listed, is the Marable home site southeast of Mrs. Lee, all of which coincides with the Hotchkiss map of 1871 as further substantiation.

Mrs. Lee was Susan Lewis Lampkin Lee, b. 11 Nov 1798; d. 23 Dec 1873. She had married George Hatchett in 1815, but was widowed after 7 years of marriage with no issue. She married the Rev Henderson Lee considered the father of Presbyterianism in Lunenburg County, having started such churches as Ebenezer and Bethany. He often preached at Spring Hill Church. Henderson Lee and Susan purchased 1300 acres from Alexander Craille who had owned the original home site indicated on the Gilmer map and enlarged it and moved their growing family of 5 children to the site in 1841. Rev Henderson Lee died shortly after the war started October 21, 1862 and is presumed to be buried at the Lee Hall cemetery just south of the old home site.



Relative links: (Use your browser's BACK feature to return to this page.)

Photograph of Rev. Henderson Lee from records of Stephen Israel
Lee Family article
WPA report

Lee Hall Land History