About Mecklenburg County, VA

Mecklenburg County Virginia, like Charlotte County, was named for Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, consort of George III. Mecklenburg was formed in 1764-65, from the part of Lunenburg that was Saint James Parish. Saint James Parish was formed in 1761 when Cumberland Parish was divided. The area of Mecklenburg is 665 square miles. Boydton is the county seat.

Return to the Mecklenburg County Home Page