7) Elijah G. Gregory, born Oct. 20, 1776, married Nancy Moody
(b. Feb. 26, 1778) on June 8, 1801 and was the daughter of Arthur
Moody, Sr. and Mary Marshall Moody. Elijah Gregory died March 5,
1848 and Nancy Moody Gregory died Dec. 19, 1851, they are buried
in a cemetery close to the back of their home. The will of Elijah
Gregory is recorded in Will Book 16, P. 473, March 1848. Six
children were listed in his will.
I along with my Mother, my brother Harold, Howard Gregory, and
wife Linda and their son, Micheal and daughter, Kimberly visited
this home June 1, 1996 and found the graves and the old home
falling apart. We were fascinated with the massive twin chim-
neys. Above the second floor of one chimney, 1801, was imprinted
in the beautiful old hand made brick. That was the year Elijah
and Nancy Gregory were married.
The basement had a ground level door at one end of the house
which we entered. There was a fireplace on either end of the
basement with a brick floor and several large basement windows.
This had originally been used as the kitchen and dining area. On
the main floor were two large rooms with a large fireplace at the
end of each room. There was an unusual design feature of the
house, in that, each upstairs bedroom had its own circular stair
case from the room below and there was no door between these two
upstairs rooms and a fireplace in only one upstairs room.
There had been a front porch and there was a back porch leading
to a pantry, a kitchen had been added to the first floor and was
built on a rock foundation of about 18 inches thick. We all felt
very sad that our heritage is slowly being lost.
1. Mary A. Gregory
2. Frances S. Gregory married Marshall M. Moore
3. Theba M. Gregory married ______ Moore
4. Eliza Ann Gregory married Asa Moore
5. William Gregory
6. James H. Gregory (b. Sept. 22, 1808) married 1st - Letty C.
Puryear (b. Jan. 20, 1808) Dec. 14, 1832 2nd - Martha A. Puryear
(b. Aug. 25, 1817) Aug. 10, 1844 or 1845 in Granville Co. N. C.
They were the daughters of Thomas B. and Martha (Patsy) Harris Puryear.
James H. Gregory died Dec. 30, 1891.
Children by 1st wife Letty C. Puryear:
(1) William Henry Gregory (b. Sept 12, 1833) died Apr. 10,
1920 and buried at Bethel Baptist Church.
(2) Martha Anne Gregory (b. Sept. 6, 1835)
(3) Elijah Thomas Gregory (b. June 27, 1839)
died Aug. 3, 1922. On June 1, 1996 we visited his preserved and
remodeled home and was impressed with the beautiful rock chimney
at one end of the house.
1. Nannie Gregory married James Benjamine Stembridge Aug. 16, 1887,
and was his 2nd marriage.
1- Silas Wilkie Stembridge (Barshia) (b. Apr.
19, 1894) married Bessie Lee Moore (b. Sept.
21, 1900). He died Aug. 10, 1954 and she
died June 9, 1970 and they are buried at
Bethel Baptist Church.
(1. Robert Stembridge married Frances Trent and lives in Chase City.
(2. Silas L. Stembridge, born in 1928 married Darlene Mull. He was a
retired mechanic and welder for Westinghouse and a Navy veteran of
World War 11. He died Sept. 10, 1994 and is buried in Woodland Cemetery,
1. Paige Stembridge married Mike Nipper and live
in Chase City.
2. Victor R. Stembridge and wife Mindy live in Richmond.
(3. Charlie Thomas Stembridge (b. Mar. 3, 1930) married Joyce Bogle.
He died Nov. 18, 1967.
(4. Bryan Stembridge, born in 1937, married Barbara Jones and lives
in Chase City.
(5. Nanilee Stembridge married Haymaker and lives in Richmond
(6. Valarie Stembridge married Rickman and lives in Chase City.
2- Charlie S. (Bud) Stembridge (b. Sept. 28,1890) died June 28, 1973 and is buried at
Bethel Baptist Church.
3- Finnis Baptist Stembridge (b. Mar. 30, 1901)
married Cora Mae Gregory daughter of John
Thomas and Fanny Letitia Gregory. He was a
retired tobacco farmer. He died Mar. 26,
1996 and is buried at Bethel Baptist Church.
(1. Marion Stembridge (b. 1922) married James Reuben Thorpe,
he died 1975.
1. Randell S. Thorpe (b. Mar. 22, 1955) He died
Aug. 18, 1979.
(2. Fines Aubrey (Bobby) Stembridge (b. July 23, 1928)
married Kathryn Amos.
1. Michael Aubrey Stembridge (b. Feb. 15, 1954)
2. Kathy Dianne Stembridge
(3. Nancy Stembridge married Alpheus Montgomery
(Nick) Hightower, Sr. He was the owner of Wholesale Parts Inc. in Chase City
and died Sept. 10, 1994 at the age of 67. He is buried at Bethel Baptist Church,
Chase City, Va.
1. Alpheus Montgomery (Monty) Hightower, Jr.
(4. Carolyn Stembridge married Jones
(5. John Walter Stembridge (b. Dec. 17, 1936 married
Rose Marie Powell, no children.
2. Lettie Gregory (b. Feb. 1872) married James Benjamine Stembridge Jan. 11,
1911. This was his 3rd marriage. She died Dec. 6, 1951 and is
buried at Bethel Baptist Church. He is buried in the Royster-Stembridge Family
Cemetery on the farm of J. D. Mullins near Bethel Baptist
1- Ethel Stembridge married 1st William Bogle and 2nd to Jerry
(1. Doris Bogle (b. ca. 1933)
married Wade. She died May 3, 1979 and is buried at Woodland Cemetery, Chase
(2. Helen M. Bogle (b. Mar. 6, 1941) died Feb. 26,
1946 and is buried at Bluestone Baptist Church Cemetery, Clarksville, Va
(3. Louise Seamans married Williford
(4. Ruth Faye Seamans
(5. Jerry Harrison Seamans, Jr.
(6. Eddie L. Seamans
(7. Phillip L. Seamans
2- Clarence Stembridge (b. Apr. 2, 1914)
married Elva Stembridge. No Children. He
is buried at Bethel Baptist Church.
3. Charlie L. Gregory (b. Jan 21, 1869) married
Lelia Mustain. He died Mar. 14, 1943. No
(4) Mary Caroline Gregory (b. Mar. 28, 1842) m. Samuel
T. Reynolds Dec. 25, 1862. She died Mar. 19, 1909.
Children by 2nd wife Martha A. Puryear and James H. Gregory:
(5) James Richard Gregory (b. Feb. 6, 1848) married
Isabella (Belle) S. Brame (b. 1851) daughter of David W. and Lucy Ann Puryear
Brame, Dec. 24, 1873. He died Dec. 27, 1918.
1. Rosa Klem Gregory
2. Walter T. Gregory (b. Oct. 14, 1874) married Mary Elizabeth
Brame (b. June 21, 1885). She died Nov. 18, 1943 and he
died Feb. 24, 1950. They are buried at Rehobeth United Methodist Church,
1- Ruth Gregory (b. Dec. 5, 1917) married
Henry Wilson Lambert, she died Feb. 8, 1979. He died Jan. 23,
and is buried at Boydton United Methodist Church.
2- William T. Gregory
(b. Oct. 18, 1902) Died July 17, 1981, unmarried.
3- Helen Gregory (b. May 4,
1906) married _____ Hightower, died Oct. 22, 1980 and is buried at
Reboot United Methodist Church.
4- Lucille Gregory married Leroy D. Coleman
died Dec. 3, 1981, is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Chase
(1. Thomas Coleman married Lucille Wilson daughter of Willie
Lee and Elizabeth Reese Wilson. After his death Lucille
married Pendleton and lives in Lynchburg
(1) Danny Coleman lives in Raleigh, NC
1. Elizabeth Coleman
2. Chuck Coleman
(2. Helen Coleman married _____ Vaughan
5- Lucy Mae Gregory married _____ Thompson
6- Katherine Gregory married _____ Nicholson
7- Westley Garland Gregory, Sr. married (Nita)
Phenita E. Wilson (b. Mar. 12, 1909) and
she died Nov. 5, 1961. He was born in 1910
and he died Aug. 27, 1978. They are buried
at Bethel Baptist Church.
(1. Wesley Garland Gregory, Jr.
(2. Rica Gregory married Chavious Hutchins
She died Apr, 13, 1990.
(1) Clarence Hutchins
(2) Lynn Hutchins
(3) Janice Hutchins married _____ Hawkins
3. W. Edward Gregory son of James Richard and
Isabella (Belle) Brame Gregory (b. Jan. 22,
1877) married Katie Lawson Nov. 29, 1899. She
was born Oct. 22, 1874 and died Apr. 15, 1911.
He died Feb. 24, 1950 and they are buried at
New Hope Baptist Church, Skipwith, Va.
1- Roy Gregory (b. Jan. 14, 1903) married
Mattie Wilson. He died May 23, 1951 and is
buried at New Hope Baptist Church.
(1. Mary Alice Gregory married Welton Jones
(2. Catherine Gregory married Jake Clarence
McPeters. He died Oct. 18, 1994 and is
buried in Woodland Cemetery, Chase City.
(1) Kent McPeters
(2) Gary McPeters married Patricia
2- Herbert Gregory (b. Dec. 13, 1906) married
Emma Lee Harris. He died June 7, 1949 and
is buried at New Hope Baptist Church.
(1. Eddie Harris Gregory married and has 2
3- Carrie Gregory (b. Aug. 29, 1909) married
Clarence Edward Crowder (b. Dec. 11, 1908).
He died Mar. 2, 1963 and she died July 14,
1991 and are buried at New Hope Baptist
(1. Lewis Edward Crowder married Ruby _____
(1) Linda Crowder Nunn
(2) Christine Crowder Phillips
1. Brian Arthur Phillips
2. Corie Elizabeth Phillips
4. James David Gregory married Bessie Winkler Sept. 1, 1907.
5. John Francis Gregory (b. 1889) in Mecklenburg Co. was married 3 times. He
lived in Altavista and retired from the Lane Co. and died
March 17, 1967 at the age of 77. 1st marriage Mary Dunn 2nd marriage Nannie Gray
3rd Marriage Helen Leigh Chandler
Children by Mary Dunn:
(1. Grayson Gregory
(1) Mason Gregory
(2) Grayson Gregory
(3) Shirley Gregory
(4) John D. Gregory lives in South Hill
Children by Nannie Gray:
(1. Kenneth Gregory (b. June 12, 1917) married Earl Jones Feb. 7, 1942 she died Feb.
14, 1996. They had no children.
3rd wife Helen Leigh Chandler (b. Feb. 12, 1889 in Chanticleer, near Finchley, Va.)He died
March 17, 1967 in Altavista, Va. and she died March 4, 1963 in Lynchburg, Va.
Children by Helen Chandler:
(1. Gwendolyn Frances Gregory (b. Mar. 27, 1929 in
Lynchburg, Va.) Married Paige Harvey Clanton (b. December 27,
1924 in South Hill, Va.)
(1) Susan Paige Clanton (b. Nov. 3, 1953) Johnson City, Tn. lst
marriage Monty Ott Mathias (b. June 8, 1952 in Harrisonburg, Va.
2nd Husband - Gregory Alan Simpson (b. June 10, 1954 in Wheeling, WV)
1. Kaitlin Paige Simpson (b. Oct. 2 1989 in Bowling Green, Oh.)
(2) Ashby Paige Clanton (b. Apr. 26, 1956 in Johnson City, Tn.) married Connie
Miller (b. Mar. 25, 1957 in Rolla, Missouri.
1. Laura Paige Clanton (b. Aug. 27, 1988 in Johnson City, Tn.)
2. Nicholas Ashby Clanton (b. June 23 1994 in Johnson City, Tn.)
6. Anna Gregory married Mack Redman, she died Jan 17, 1919.
7. Peter Weston Gregory (b. June 26, 1880) married Maude Sallie Stembridge (b.
Feb. 6, 1881) Nov. 1, 1905 in Mecklenburg Co. She was the
daughter of James Benjamine and Elizabeth (Betty) A. Forlines Stembridge. He
died Apr. 18, 1947 and she died June 12, 1959. They are buried
at New Hope Baptist Church, Skipwith, Va
1- David Hiram Gregory (b. Aug. 30, 1906) married Janie Alice Shook (b. Mar. 24,
1911 near Taylorsville, N. C.) March 2, 1929 She was the daughter of Calvin Monroe
and Susan Genela Huffman Shook of Keysville, Va.
but went by the name of Stembridge having been raised by William H. and Elizabeth
Lanyon Stembridge. He died May 1, 1985 and is buried at New Hope Baptist Church,
Skipwith, Va. She died January 14, 1998. She was always a very caring and giving
person, so in 1993 signed papers to give her body to Medical College of Virginia
for research. When she found out she had a rare lung disease about two
years before she died she said "Maybe I can help find a cause and a cure." A
memorial stone is at New Hope Baptist Church.
(1. Maude Elizabeth Gregory (b. Jan. 4, 1930 married William Linwood Inge (b. Feb.
16 1926)[William Linwood Inge Sr, d. Friday, March 7, 2008, Roanoke Times/jgs]
Aug. 22, 1948. He was the son of Ollie Linwood and Bessie Mae Smith Inge.
They have lived in Lynchburg, Va. since 1948 and was the owner, retired, of
Lynchburg Toms Sales Co. Elizabeth was off-manager and after they sold the
business she went to work as an accountant for their CPA until her retirement in
1994. Both still enjoy part time jobs, gardening and their children and grandsons.
Both are active in their Church and civic organizations and clubs.
(1) William Linwood Inge, Jr. (b. Nov. 16, 1949) Divorced and no children. He
lives in Amherst Co. and is an Investigator for Amherst County Sheriff's
(2) Elizabeth Anne Inge (b. Jan. 12, 1953) married Joseph Harris Coleman III,
(b. Mar. 10, 1953) July 23, 1971. He is the son of Alfred Clifton and Hazel
Vaughan Coleman. Anne is a homemaker and Joe is Vice President of Coleman-Adams
Construction Co. Inc. He is now one of the 4th generation of Coleman'building
contractors. They now have.2 sons preparing for a career as building contractors.
1. Brandon Daniel Bryant-Coleman (b. May 8, 1973) Legal Guardian.
He is the son of Danny K. and Virginia Coleman Bryant, she deceased Sept. 23,
2. William Joseph Coleman (b. Apr. 14, 1981) in
Virginia Baptist Hospital at 6:38 P. M. He weighted 9 lbs. 1 oz. and was 22
3. Clifton Matthew Coleman (b. June 25, 1982) in
Virginia Baptist Hospital at 5:45 A. M. He weighted 9 lbs. 12 oz. and was 22
(2. Dorothy Mae Gregory (b. Sept. 9, 1931) married Harold Austin Crowder May 24,
1952 in Mecklenburg Co. Va. They live in Colonial Heights,
Va. He is retired from American Tobacco Co. and she from the Federal Government.
(3. Shirlee Anne Gregory (b. Dec. 24, 1935) married Marshall Ray Reamey Oct. 10,
1954, divorced. Married Dr. Robert B. Seligman. They live
in Richmond, Va. and are both retired from Phillip Morris Tobacco Co.
(1) Marshall Ray Reamey, Jr. born Oct. 7, 1955. Unmarried.
(2) Kristina Lynn (Tina) Reamey born Jan 4, 1961. Married to David Hanon Jr. and
have no children.
(4. David Harold Gregory (b. May 12, 1937) married Betty Wilkerson Jan. 29,
1972. Divorced. Married Peggy. He owns a farm that was part of
the original Andrew Gregory, Sr. estate in the 1700's. He purchased this farm
from John Edward Gregory who lived in Lynchburg but was
raised on the farm and inherited it from his mother at her death. Harold is
employed by the Commonwealth Of Va.
Children by Betty Wilkerson Newcomb:
(1) Donna Carroll Gregory born April 8, 1973. She is newspaper reporter
in South Hill, Va.
2- Hallie Elizabeth Gregory (b. Aug. 4, 1910) married Archer (Jake) Wilson,
she died Apr. 11, 1936 and is buried at Friendship Baptist Church, Chase City, Va.
(1. S. W. Wilson
(2. Everlene Wilson married Westley Lane
(3. Delma Wilson
3- Clara Bell Gregory (b. May 28, 1908) married 1st - Andrew A. Garner, he died
1974. 2nd - Lewis Toone She died May 4, 1992 and is buried
at New Baptist Church.
(1. Edward A. Garner (b. June 12, 1932) married
(1) Robert Edward Garner (b. Sept 7, 1954)
(2) Cindy Lane Garner
(2. Barbara Louise Garner (b. May 29, 1934) married
(1) Donna Kay Griffin (b. Dec. 12,
(2) Wanda Lynn Griffin (July 13, 1962)
(3) John Dale Griffin (b. Feb. 7, 1969)
(3. Larry Bailey Garner (b. Mar. 27, 1953) married Irene Watson and no children.
4- Lillie Forlines Gregory (b. July 20, 1912) married Willie McGee
(1. Joyce Lee McGee (b. Nov. 5, 1938) married Harold Tucker
Wilkerson. She was killed on Rt. 360 as she pulled out from her restaurant at
6:20 on Sunday afternoon, Feb. 23, 1992. She is buried at
Ontario Christian Church.
(1) Dorothy Wilkerson Ramsey, Keysville
(2) Wanda Y Wilkerson, Keysville
(3) Vivian Wilkerson Neale, Richmond
(2. Carl McGee of Buffalo Junction
5- Lelia Maude Gregory (b. Apr. 14, 1914) died July 4, 1915.
6- Ardell Virginia Gregory (Oct. 22, 1916) married Clyde Lacks. They lived in
Rocky Mount, Virginia. She died Sept. 30, 1995 and she died
Nov. 18, 1995 and are buried in Franklin Memorial Park.
(1. Sherman Gregory Lacks (b. Aug. 10, 1941) married Patricia (Peggy) Ann
Young, daughter of Clarence and Bessie Young, June 29, 1963. They live in Rocky
(1) Michael Gregory Lacks born Oct. 18, 1964. He was killed in automobile
accident in Rocky Mount, Va. Mar. 28, 1987.
7- James Weston Gregory (b.,July 2, 1919) married Thelma Toone, no children. He
died Apr. 30, 1993 and is buried at Bethel Baptist Church.
8- Albert Lee Gregory (b. Nov. 4, 1921) married
(1. Ronnie Gregory
(2. Ricky Gregory
9- Earnest Carlton Gregory (b. Mar. 2, 1927) died Mar. 10, 1927.
Continued-James H. Gregory and 2nd wife Martha A. Puryear.
(6) Reuben Puryear Gregory (b. Sept. 20, 1855) married Addie F. Sneed Dec. 25, 1878.
He died Jan. 10, 1892
(7) Letty C. Gregory (b. July 21,
1857) married Ludwell E. Gregory (b. Aug. 15, 1854) Dec. 22, 1880. Letty died
Feb. 3, 1939 and Ludwell died Jan. 13, 1938. Ludwell was the
son of Andrew B. Gregory (to be covered later).
FROM THE GREGORY FAMILY BIBLE
RECORD ORIGINALLY OWNED BY LUDWELL E AND LETTY C GREGORY AND
THEN OWNED BY MILTON L GREGORY, 618 CIRCLEWOOD DRIVE, RICHMOND VIRGINIA 23224,
since deceased. This Bible is now owned by Mary Alice
Gregory Jones in Richmond.
James H. Gregory was born Sept. 22nd 1808
Letty C. Gregory was born Jan 20th 1809
Martha A. Gregory was born Aug. 25, 1817
(Note: Letty C. Gregory was Letty C. Puryear 1st wife of
James H. Gregory. Martha A. Gregory was Martha A. Puryear 2nd
wife of James H. Gregory. They were sisters and daughters of Thomas B. and
Martha Harris Puryear.)
William Henry Gregory was born September 12th 1833
Martha Ann Gregory was born Sept. 6, 1935
Elijah Thomas Gregory was born June 27, 1839
Mary Caroline Gregory was born March 28, 1842
(Note: 4 children of James H. and Letty C. Puryear Gregory listed above.)
James Richard Gregory was born Feb. 6, 1848
Reuben Puryear Gregory was born Sept. 20th 1855
Letty C. Gregory was born July 21st 1837
(Note: The 3 children listed above are of James H. and Martha A. Puryear
Mattie E. Reynolds was born May 14, 1866
Nannie N. Gregory was born December 23rd 1866
Walter T. Gregory was born Oct. 14, 1874
Lucy A. Reynolds was born Jan 24th 1875
Willie E. Gregory was born Jan 20th 1877
Lucy A. Gregory was born Dec. 29th 1879
Mattie S. Gregory was born Oct. - 1879
Charlie W. Gregory was born Aug. 8th 1881
Pattie G. Gregory was born August 13th 1881
Thomas A. Gregory was born Jan 8th 1887
Reuben L. Gregory was born April 7th 1889
James H. Gregory and Letty C. Gregory were married Dec. 18, 1832
James H. Gregory and Martha A. Gregory were married Aug. 10, 1844
(Note: 1st marriage took place in Mecklenburg Co. and 2nd marriage took place in
Granville Co., N. C. James H. and Martha A. Puryear Gregory are
the G. G. Grandparents of Elizabeth G. Inge.)
Samuel T. Reynolds and Mary C. Gregory were married Dec. 25, 1862
James R. Gregory and Belle S. Brame were married Dec. 25, 1873
(Note: Married in Mecklenburg Co. and G.
Grandparents of Elizabeth G. Inge.)
Reubin P. Gregory and Addie T. Sneed were married Dec. 25, 1878
Ludwell E. Gregory and Lettie C. Gregory were married Dec. 22, 1880
James B. Stembridge and Nannie H. Gregory were married Aug. 16, 1887
(Note: 1st marriage - James B. married Betty A. Forelines Jan. 12, 1876
G. Grandparents of Elizabeth G. Inge
2nd marriage - James B. married Nannie H. Gregory
3rd marriage - James B. married Lettie Gregory Jan. 11, 1911.)
Tommie A. Gregory and Annie E. Stembridge Jones were married Oct. 28, 1909
Andrew B. Gregory died Sept. 29, 1892
James H. Gregory died Dec. 30, 1891
Reubin P. Gregory died Jan 10, 1892
Miss Caroline E. Puryear died Jan. 24, 1907
Mrs. Sallie 0. Forlines died May 20, 1907
(Note: Sallie 0. Forlines, was Sallie 0. Puryear and wife of Hiram
Forlines and sister of Caroline E. Puryear, Letty C. Gregory and Martha A.
Gregory. She was G. G. Grandmother of Elizabeth G. Inge.)
Mr. John Royster died Jan 25, 1908
Mr. James B. Gregory died Mar. 13, 1908
Jessies Little Baby died March 7, 1908
Mrs. Mary C. Reynolds died Mar. 19, 1909
Mrs. Martha A. Reynolds died Sept. 20, 1909
Mr. J. T. Gregory died Aug. 5, 1915
Mr. James R. Gregory died Dec. 27, 1918
(Note: G. Grandfather of Elizabeth G. Inge)
Mrs. Sue Gregory died Nov. 15, 1915
Mrs. Sue Smith died June 6, 1915
little Lila Gregory died July 5, 1915
Mrs. Anna L. Redmon died Jan 17, 1919
Mr. James B. Stembridge died April 25, 1919
(Note: G. Grandfather of Elizabeth G. Inge.)
(Note: Any information in parenthesis has been added by
Contributor, Elizabeth Gregory Inge, and not copied
from the Gregory Bible.)