Submitted by June Banks Evans 9 Aug 2003
(This page was last updated )
|China Grove (demolished), Bugg home, Mecklenburg County
The family line of the Buggs who settled in Southside Virginia is traced to early New Kent County where they are found in the records of St. Peter’s Parish. Later, records of then Lunenburg County, prior to formation of Mecklenburg County, show that in 1752 a Samuel Bugg bought 150 acres now referred to as "Bugg’s Island"; the following year he bought an additional 195 acres on the south shore of the river, adjoining the lands of Gunn and Wood. [LDB 2:508; LDB 3:295] Between 1752 and 1770, there were at least sixteen deeds [Lunenburg/Mecklenburg] transferring land to members of the Bugg family -- on both sides of the Roanoke River, along Allen’s Creek, Cotton Creek, and Dockery Creek. Further research could determine which of these tracts was the site of China Grove that burned in 1975.
(Reference: The Journals of William Emmanuel Bugg 1848-1935, transcribed by June Banks Evans, with additional family data: Bryn Ffyliaid)
See Virginia Historical Inventory, Mecklenburg County, house #/VHI/R/17/0450
database record China
Return to the VAGenWeb Mecklenburg County
Use your browser's BACK feature to return to the previous page.