New Kent County, Virginia
Photo by P. Kevin Morley/Richmond Times-Dispatch
Built in 1701, the church is believed to
be the location of the marriage between George and Martha
Washington on January 6, 1759. One of the oldest churches in the
Commonwealth, the site was originally purchased for 146,000
pounds of tobacco. In 1862, Union soldiers marching from Fort
Monroe toward Richmond used the building as a stable. The
original portion of the church is one of the few Jacobean baroque
style structures in America; the 1740s stump tower is also
unusual. Located on S.R. 642 (St. Peter's Lane) off S.R. 609 (Old
Church Road) near Talleysville. Church grounds are open to the
public every day, but the interior is open only by appointment.
Regular worship services are held at 9 and 11 a.m. Sundays. Call
(804) 932-4846 for information.