St. Paul's Lutheran Church, located in Strasburg, Virginia, dates back to as early as 1760. It is likely that the Lutherans shared a church building with the Reformed until 1769, when a log church house was erected.
The new church was soon fitted with a pipe organ purchased in Germany. This instrument was hauled to Strasburg from Baltimore, Maryland in a wagon.
At one time, early in the 1900's, per John W. Wayland's "A History of Shenandoah County", there was a framed parchment signed by Lord Fairfax dated December 23, 1771, and granting 200 acres to Hieronomous Baker, Martin Roller, Laurence Snapp and Henry Felkner, elders of the Lutheran church and congregation. This land was on the west side of the "North River of Shanandoah."
A new brick Lutheran church was dedicated in 1844 and again in 1893. In 1867, damage to St. Paul's church building that was inflicted during the Civil War was repaired.
Following is a list of pastors at St. Paul's Lutheran Church until the year 1900:John P. G. Muhlenberg, 1772 - 1776 (occasionally)
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb
Tomstone Inscriptions for St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery, Strasburg