21 Jul 1849: Mark Bird, trustee, sold to Jonathan Crabill. Deed Book ZZ, p. 344
21 Mar 1851: Jonathan Crabill and Sarah Ann, his wife, sold to Jonas Wakeman. Deed Book ZZ, page 260
16 Mar 1869: Jonas W. Wakeman and Frances, his wife, sold to Elizabeth Ann Motter. Deed Book 11, p. 549
13 Sep 1873: Harrison Fauber and Mary, his wife, sold to Abraham Strickler, "it being the same land which was conveyed by John C. Motter and wife to said Harrison Fauber by deed dated 9 Sep 1872." Deed Book 11, p. 552
2 Jul 1935: List of heirs to Virginia E. Strickler, dec'd. who qualified 2 Jul 1935 in Shenandoah County: M.S. Swartz, Chas. H. Swartz, and Robert B. Strickler, grandsons; Josephine Swartz Johnson, granddaughter.
This house is an "ell" of frame construction with two and one half stories and is plastered on the outside. Three inside stone chimneys with brick tops and sixteen windows with twelve 10x12 panes and shutters with stationary slats highlight the house's visual appearance. There is a front portico with scalloped cornice, square columns and fancy balusters, and a back porch along the entire "ell" with old-time railings and a floor of wide boards. The front door has four panels with side lights and a transom.
The Four Mile House has eight large rooms with nine-foot ceilings. There is an open-string, two-flight stairway with turned balusters and a large, fancy turned newel. Most of the doors have two vertical pine panels with common hinges and outside iron locks. The walls are papered and the foors are of medium wide boards. The cellar has a hard-packed dirt floor.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb