The Abraham Hottle Home

Location: Pughs Run, Virginia, west of Route 11, on the creek

Built: early 1800's


George Koontz, deceased, in his last will bequeathed to his six children: John, Mary, Eveline, Henry, William and George A. Koontz, his real estate to be divided equally among them. Will made 9 Apr 1819; probated 12 Feb 1827. Will Book O, p. 34

31 May 1841: John Gaw and Eveline, his wife, sold to Henry Koontz that portion of the lands of George Koontz, deceased, assigned to Eveline, the wife of John Gaw. Deed Book SS, page 381

Oct 1843: John Dirting and Rebecca, his wife, and Henry Koontz sold to Henry S. Wunder. Deed Book VV, p. 174

9 May 1849: Henry S. Wunder and Ann A., his wife, sold to Henry Wunder. Deed Book YY, page 44

22 Aug 1863: Daniel O. Bowman and Mary E., his wife, and Eliza Bowman, widow of Henry Bowman, deceased, sold to Samuel H.W. Bowman their part of land devised to them by Henry Bowman, deceased. Deed Book 7, page 195

3 Mar 1866: S.H.W. Bowman and wife sold to John Dirting. Deed Book 11, page 210

24 Jan 1883: John Dirting and wife sold to Ann T. Hottel. Deed Book 23, page 272

29 Jun 1912: Ann T. Hottel and Abram Hottel, husband and wife, Ida B. Fravel and C.P. Fravel, her husband, Effie L. Will and Wm. B. Will, her husband, Emma J. Rinker and James R. Rinker, her husband, Vernon Bauserman and W.H. Bauserman, her husband, L.L. Hottel, O.J. Hottel and Ann, his wife, sold to Bessie Wisman and Lucy C. Hottel. Deed Book 81, page 44

Physical Description

This two and one half story log house has a gabled, slate roof. There are three inside brick chimneys. There are nineteen windows with twelve 8x10 panes. The house has two porches; one being a side entrance. The side portico has six square posts and lentil cornice. The front entrance is a long porch with steps at the end, with four square posts and fancy carved balusters. The house has eight large rooms with eight foot ceilings. The cellar has a high wall of primitive stone and a hard packed dirt floor. The doors are six-panel pine, two cross with outside iron locks and common hinges. The walls are papered and the ceilings are hand hewn beams. Walls are of wide boards of irregular widths, with long sills under the pine floor (the whole tree with the bark still on).

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created September 28 2001