1 Apr 1836: Abraham Funkhouser 2/5 part of the tract of land which Barbara Funkhouser, deceased, wife and heir of George Funkhouser, deceased, died in possession of. George Funkhouser willed his whole estate to his wife, Barbara until all the children became of age (13 Feb 1815).
2 Oct 1856: Jack R. Funkhouser and Barbara, his wife, sold to Andrew Funkhouser
19 Jul 1828: Andrew Funkhouser received his share of his father, George Funkhouser's, estate. (This is probably an incorrect date.)
20 Mar 1874: Andrew Funkhouser and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Casper Funkhouser all his land along Mill Creek, including "The Parsonage."
11 Apr 1903: Virginia E. Hammon sold to Henry Jordan, 9 acres 2 rods 12 square poles.
1 Dec 1923: Henry Jordan and Nancy C., his wife, sold to Arthur W. Larrick.
This plain weatherboard frame house is Oblong in shape with two stories. There is a hipped metal roof with three chimneys, one on each end and one in the center. There are seventeen windows with twelve 10x12 panes and no shutters. There are two porches, front and back. The entrance is a one-story porch with square columns and a two panel glass door.
There are six large and two small rooms with eight foot ceilings, two boxed in stairways, one at the front and one at the back of the house. The cellar is plain walled with a dirt floor. The doors are two-paneled grained pine with iron butt hinges and china knob latches; the stairway doors are of up and down boards. The floors are of wide boards. One mantel has been removed, the other is just a plain shelf.Historical significance
The house was built by the Funkhouser family as a residence for the pastor of the Otterbein Chapel. It has been called "the parsonage" ever since, although it was used only a little while for this purpose. Back of the house and there was a Barrel Factory and two large lime kilns. One kiln was built in the side of the bank, was about eight feet in diameter, and was built entirely of brick; the draw pipe lead out to the run.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb