William W. Magruder to Mark Bird being the same property conveyed by Henry H. Gray, March 1834.
M.L. Walton, Special Commissioner, to G.W. Dingledine, which was the property of Judge Mark Bird, November 23, 1907.
Jacob W. Dingledine, deceased, in his will named Sarah A. Dingledine, Executrix and Joseph H. Tisinger, Administrator, whereas Joseph W. Dingledine on March 27, 1913, pursuant to a provision contained in public building acts of March 4, 1913, authorizing acquisition of Federal building site in Woodstock, Virginia, submitted a proposition of sale to United States of America. When the original lot was sold by the Administrator of J.W. Dingledine, the west half fronting on Commerce Street was sold to C.A. Saum and H.B. Chapman. Saum consequently conveyed his interest to Chapman. The half fronting on Muhlenburg Street was sold to United States Government and the Woodstock Post Office Building was constructed on this half. The Bird dwelling was purchased by Chapman and moved back further on this lot, as it formerly stood on the half purchased by the Government.
This two story log over frame house with brick chimneys at each end is of Colonial Architecture. There are twenty six windows with a total of 312 panes, each being 8x14 inches. These windows have stationary shutters. There is a front porch with steps at each end and a back porch that runs the entire length of the house.
There is an interior open-string stairway with mahogany railing and spindle maple balusters, and a mahogany octagon-shaped newel. The doors are solid mahogany with two vertical panels and common iron hardware. Walls are papered and floors are of medium width pine boards.Historical Significance
This house was Stonewall Jackson's headquarters during the Valley Campaign.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb