The Bowers House

Location: Seven miles southwest of Mt. Jackson, Virginia, on the south side of Route 727

Built: circa 1777


This land was part of the Adam and Moses Pence property in 1830; deeds date from the Pences.

8 Feb 1877: Adam Pence and Sarah, his wife, sold to Peter Myers for $31.00 current money by way of exchange in land, which was conveyed to Adam Pence 14 Aug 1876 by M.L. Walton, Comm. Peter and Sallie, his wife, sold to W.P. Bowers. Deed Book 16, page 362

29 Jul 1897: Between William P. Bowers and Magdaline, his wife, and J. Turner Kelley for the sum of $900.00 of which $300.00 was cash in hand paid by said J. Turner Kelley, the residue to be made in two annual payments of $300.00 with interest from date, payable on the 29th day of July 1898 and the 29th day of July 1899. For 52 acres, 1 rood (sic) and 13 square poles, more or less. Deed Book 49, page 178

6 may 1911: J.T. Kelley and Mary E., his wife, sold to the Mt. Clifton Orchard Co., the Bowers tract and several other tracts of land surrounding, comprising what was in 1937 known as the Mt. Clinton Orchard. Deed Book 75, page 283

Physical Description

The Bowers home is a one and a half story oblong log house with a hipped metal roof and a stone-walled, dirt floor cellar. It has one stone chimney in the center of the house and eight windows with twelve 8x10 panes and no shutters. There is a plain porch with square posts alongside the house.

The interior is two large and four small rooms with nine-foot ceilings. The house has one enclosed boxed stairway and six-panel double cross pine doors with butt hinges and iron latches. The floors are wide boards with square nails and the mantel is narrow with a wide wood apron. The chimney is three-way, having two triangular fireplaces.

Historical significance

There have allegedly been many ghost stories about this home, but none has been substantiated. One tale is of a large rat that roamed on certain nights and always disappeared in the same place at the fireplace, but the hole it went down was never found.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created September 30 2001