Cedar Grove Manor

Location: Adjoining the town of Strasburg, Virginia, on the north, situated on the east side of the Valley Turnpike (Route 11)

Built: between 1785 and 1818


15 Sep 1818: Joseph Spengler and Philip Williams, Exec., under the last will and testament of Christian Stover, son of Peter Stover, to William Balthis. This property conveyed to Christian Stover by Joseph Stover.

26 Feb 1823: William Balthis and Rebecca, his wife, to George F. Hupp. It does not appear to whom George F. Hupp conveyed this property.

Sep 1883: Joseph S. Hupp and Bettie B. Hupp, his wife, to Strasburg Land and Improvement Company. (another link missing here)

Apr 1902: George H. Bowman vs. George F. Hupp, E.E. Stickley Commissioner, sold to Floyd E. Grove.

13 Oct 1909: Floyd E. Grove to Floyd D. Ridings

25 Nov 1913: F.C. Ridings and Ella Baker to harry Ridings and Catharine Ridings.

14 May 1930: F.S. Tavenner, Special Commissioner, et al. to Kate Heagy Knee (suit of Mary C. Baker vs. Harry Ridings).

Physical Description

This house is of Colonial architecture, brick with white columns in front. The original house was burned to the foundation after the war, having been accidentally set on fire by an old slave, who had stayed on with the family. Only the old dining room and kitchen remain, w stone and plaster structure. Some time later, Mr. George F. Hupp, Sr. rebuilt the house on the original foundation, only building half of it with the intention of building the rest of it at some other date, but this was never done. The bricks from the original house were used for the house now standing. Also all of the original double and single cross doors, with their handsome brass locks and pretty mantels on the interior are the same. The brick and most of the woodwork was shipped from England to Alexandria, Virginia, and then hauled by teams a distance of seventy five miles.

Historical Significance

The original Hupp home was built about 1785 by Mr. Spengler, who was Mrs. George F. Hupp's father. At different times, this house was used as headquarters for Confederate generals Jackson, Early and Gordon, as well as Sheridan and other Northern generals.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 1 2001