This plain, tall two and one half story "ell" shaped house is built of logs and is weather boarded. The metal, gabled roof is steep and narrow with one chimney at the south end, and two smaller chimneys at the other ends of the house. There are fifteen windows with twelve 8x10 panes and shutters with stationary slats. It stands on the street with two side porches with square posts and no balusters.
Inside the house are four large and two small rooms with eight foot ceilings. The walls are papered and the original floors have all been replaced. There is a small cellar with a packed ground floor.Historical Significance
This was one of the early homes of Woodstock, built of logs which were sawed nearby when Woodstock was heavily timbered. Very fine lumber was used, as is still evident by the wide beaded weatherboarding. Many prominent citizens of Shenandoah County have owned this house.
Adam Yeager was one of the trustees for the town of Woodstock when the Act was passed in 1761.
Daniel Maderia represented Shenandoah County in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1807 until 1812.
George Shrum was a citizen of note in Shenandoah County.
Dr. William F. Krebbs of Woodstock was breeding thoroughbred horses around the time of the beginning of the Civil War.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb