10 May 1824: John McInturff and Sevilla, his wife, convey to Daniel Munch, land in Powell's Big Fort, and is part of a tract, which was conveyed to John McInturff by Henry McInturff and other heirs at law of Frederick McInturff.
30 Apr 1827: William Veach and Elizabeth, his wife, convey to Daniel Munch, land lying on Cabin Run.
1937: Cyril H. Munch, heir and descendant of Daniel Munch was the owner and occupant.
This was the only brick house in Fort Valley as late as 1937. It stands on a hill above Passage (aka Cabin) Run, and commands a splendid view of the valley. It is a large house having three and one half stories. The attic is large and wide halls and stairways lead to it from the first floor, where one can see to the rafters of the attic. The stairway has hand-carved decorations with beautiful fresco work throughout the halls. All of the woodwork is nicely finished. The rooms are large with fireplaces and beautiful mantels.Historical Significance
The bricks for this house were made near the site of the structure. The house was built by Daniel Munch, Sr., in 1832, and the large barn owned by Jacob Munch, was built in 1833, also by Daniel Munch, Sr. Addison Munch, who was then twelve years old, and Manoah Harmon, then thirteen attended the brick-layer and carried all of the brick and mortar for both buildings.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb