14 Jan 1800: John Coil to Abraham Coil by will.
30 Aug 1828: Adam Douglass
21 Mar 1834: Abraham Hockman
25 Dec 1852: William Grim
1 May 1897: Heirs of William Grim to Emma J. Shutters.
When Mr. Shutters bought this property all the doors had porticos. He had them torn away and porches built. He cut a door in the east side of the living room and enlarged the windows downstairs. In fact, he modernized the whole house. However, the rooms still have the horizontal board wainscoting, beaded chair rails, and the beaded baseboards. The fireplace in the dining room is of plain pine wood. The mantel is of the step design. All the woodwork is hand carved, and the old dog irons are still in the fireplaces. The fireplace in the parlor has upright beaded columns. The cornices under the mantel are also beaded. The woodwork under the mantel is paneled and beaded by hand. There is a sunburst design in the center panel, the others are finely grained and stippled. The wainscoting is made of horizontal boards. The panel is painted in light and dark paint, the borders being stippled dark. The doors are of six panel design with iron latches. There are transoms over the front and back doors.
The upstairs has wooden partitions of wide boards. The enclosed stairways have presses underneath and triangular steps. There are small twelve-pane windows upstairs. The kitchen has a large fireplace which takes up the side of the room next to the living room, allowing only for a door. Both living room and kitchen have fireplaces in the same chimney. The chimney is about four by five feet to within eight inches of the top where it tapers to six inches and continues that size to the top. The chimneys are rock to the second floor and brick the rest of the way. The floors are of wide boards and have old time square nails. The house is of log construction, stripped on the outside. The porches are narrow with turned posts and scroll work braces.Historical Significance
When this house was first built, it sat back several feet from the present road. It was a plain log house and stood in front of the well. The exact date of erection is not known; it was probably built after 1800, as deed of that date shows it a tract of land which was to go to one of the heirs.
It is said that a Yankee soldier was shot and is buried in the barnyard of this home; his name is not known. John Lonas was shot as he went through the gate during "The Burning."
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb