14 Oct 1828: Charles Maurer sold to George Shaver, Jr. Deed Book GG, page 459
This probably refers to the land, as the house does not have the appearance of being that old, however, some informants claim that it was built about that time.
No records found between 1828 and 1881.
Recorded 11 Jul 1881: George Shaver willed to his son, E.E. Shaver property known as "Maurertown Farm." Will Book 19, page 279
30 Jan 1889: E.B. Shaver sold to his wife, Lucretia C. Shaver. Deed Book 31, page 260
20 Jun 1900: Lucretia C. Shaver and E.B. Shaver sold to Mary L. Shaver. Deed Book 53, page 159
6 Mar 1919: Lucretia Shaver and E.B. Shaver, her husband, Mary L. Shaver and D.L., her husband, sold to A.G. Shaver. Deed Book 86, page 278
29 Dec 1932: M.L. Walton, Jr., Commissioner, sold at public auction to W.D. Shaver, Mary L. Beydler, Florence B. Hisey and Sybil James. Deed Book 112, page 28
25 Mar 1933: Mary L. Beydler and Hugh D. Beydler, her husband, et al., conveyed to W.D. Shaver. Deed Book 112, page 29
The house originally had two rooms in front with an entry leading to the rear single story kitchen. It has since been remodeled, having the rear wing raised to two stories, making a seven room house. The floors are very uneven and of irregular pine boards. Door frames and window frames are warped. The windows have twelve small panes and the doors have four panels.
The old part of the house was built of heavy logs, which may still be seen in the cellar. The cellar has a packed ground floor with a stone wall and a very old warped door of heavy plank.
The stairway is boxed style and leads straight up from the front door. There are two steps from the front porch to the front door. The porch was built at a later date and is one story, extending the entire length of the house with a long flight of stairs at each end.Historical Significance
The south front room of this house was once used as a post office when the mail was carried by stage coach.
During the Civil War, the cellar was used for protection to some neighbors who would gather there while the firing was taking place.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb