10 Sep 1838: Andrew Bowman sold to James H. Priest. Deed Book 22, page 470
14 Jun 1842: James H. Priest sold to Moritz Heller and Adolph Heller house and lot in Maurertown. Deed Book TT, pages 253-254
13 Mar 1847: Moritz Heller and Adolph Heller sold to Andrew Bowman. Deed Book WW, page 127
22 Dec 1847: Andrew Bowman sold to Elias Saum. Deed Book WW, page 446
1 Apr 1874: Elias Saum sold to John H. Bauserman. Deed Book 12, page 202
2 Apr 1877: John H. Bauserman sold to Isaac Doll. Deed Book 26, page 25
9 Nov 1886: Isaac Doll sold to Allen Bowman. Deed Book 28, page 118
2 Jun 1893: P.W. Magruder, Trustee for Allen Bowman sold to Isaac Doll. Deed Book 39, page 431
1 Jan 1894: Isaac Doll sold to William R. Doll. Deed Book 41, page 317-318
15 Dec 1902: Wm. R. Doll sold to Sarah M. Funkhouser. Deed Book 57, page 285
9 Apr 1914: Sarah M. Funkhouser sold to Wm. S. Barham. Deed Book 79, page 456
15 Nov 1915: Wm. S. Barham sold to Blaine Wisman. Deed Book 82, page 37
1 Mar 1918: Blaine Wisman sold to S.B. Trussell. Deed Book 85, page 93
23 May 1925: George W. King, attorney for heirs of S.B. Trussell, deceased, sold to Nellie Wymer. Deed Book 96, page 72
The most interesting feature of this house is its porch, which is the entire length of the house and has the old time railing set into octagon shaped posts which are square at the bottom. This baluster of three rails has a small round rail at the top and continues down the long flight of steps at the end of the porch.
The house is two story, rectangular style, with high stone wall under the front, while the one story kitchen is on the ground level. An outside stone, brick top chimney is at one end of the house; this once afforded a wide fireplace which has since been closed.
The interior of the house has been remodeled, but the beaded baseboard and chair rail remain. The stairway is now open string and one flight. Windows have been remodeled to four panes. Doors vary from two vertical panels, four panels to six panels double doors. All dorrs have outside iron locks and common hinges. Floors are of wide boards of irregular widths; the walls are plastered and papered. The roof is of tin.Historical Significance
On the southern end of the house are four small holes cut throught the weatherboarding in the attic. It is said that Mr. Elias Saum kept his bees in the attic during the Civil War to keep the Yankees from taking his honey, and that these holes were for the bees to go out and in.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb