10 Feb 1834: In the plat and division of Philip Grandstaff's land, this land was assigned to George Grandstaff, his son. Deed Book NN, page 109
17 Jul 1871: George Grandstaff sold to George A. Grandstaff. Deed Book 10, page 340
10 Mar 1886: Henry C. Allen, Commissioner (in chancery cause of J.F. Holtzman vs. G.A. Grandstaff) sold to G.W. Koontz. Deed Book 27, page 148
24 May 1886: Geo. W. Koontz sold to Geo. A. Grandstaff. Deed Book 27, page 150
18 Feb 1890: Geo. A. Grandstaff sold to Geo. W. Koontz. Deed Book 33, page 7
6 Apr 1905: Geo. W. Koontz sold to J. Newton Wilson. Deed Book 62, page 187
19 Mar 1910: J. Newton Wilson sold to George W. Ring one half interest in the property known as the "Grandstaff Mill Property." Deed Book 73, page 288
19 Mar 1910: J. Newton Wilson sold to Claude H. Wilson and heirs his one half interest in "Grandstaff Mill Property." Deed Book 76, page 123
9 Sep 1932: Philip Williams, Special Commissioner, conveyed to E.H. Strickler, S.A. Wilkins, W.F. Bowman and David M. Wilkins, partners trading as Wilkins Milling Co.
It is a three story frame building with gabled metal roof and lean-tos and two inside brick chimneys. The cornices are plain. There are twenty eight windows with either twelve small panes or four large ones. There are twelve rooms. The stairways are open and ladder-like. The doors are modern, with five horizontal panels.
There are sliding wide batten doors for service. The walls are rough and unpainted. The locks and hinges are the regular kind. The floors are of rough wide plank. There are two elevators.
This mill is operated by two steel overshot wheels running in opposite direction from the stream of water. The one wheel drives the flour mill alone, and the other the hammer mill, corn burr and other equipment needed for the manufacture or burr-ground meals. The capacity is seventy five barrels.Historical Significance
This mill was built in 1848 by Major George Grandstaff, whose grandfather, Philip Bishop, an Edinburg pioneer, was captured by the Indians. Returning several years later, the Valley still on the frontier, Bishop feared to retain his name and called himself Grandstaff. During the Civil War, this mill escaped the brand of Sheridan's raiders. Twice set on fire, women of the town pleaded with Union officers quartered nearby to save the remaining flour, and as a result, Confederate women (led by Mary F. Grandstaff) and Union officers carried water to quench the flames. The charred timbers may be seen to this day.
Major George Grandstaff was a soldier of the War of 1812.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb