The Frank Branner Moore Home

Location: In the Glory on Route 260, two tenths of a mile west of the intersection of Route 716, on the north side of Route 260

Built: circa 1855


26 Jan 1855: Rachael Shutters, widow of Soloman (sic) Shutters, deceased, and heirs of said Shutters, sold to Abraham Balser a lot containing one acre.

21 Aug 1862: Abraham Balser and Mary, his wife, sold to Barbara A. Miller, now wife of Eli Fadley, a lot of land containing one acre more or less.

17 Jan 1885: Eli Fadley and Barbara A., his wife, sold to Frank B. Moore. The Shutters' heirs were John, Samuel, Jonathan, Aaron, William, Eve Shutters, Lydia and Jonathan Coffman, Sallie and Hugh Ryman, Elizabeth and Samuel Fisher, Hannah and Hugh Lindamood.

Physical Description

The two and one half story log frame house is plainly built. The original log house was torn down and the present structure built in 1893 from the same logs. There are two chimneys, at the north end and in the center of the house. This house has thirteen windows with four 18x27 panes and a one-story porch on the south side of the house.

On the interior of the house are four large and two small rooms with seven and one half foot ceilings. The walls are papered and wainscoted. Beneath the house is a rock-walled plain cellar.

Historical Significance

Frank B. Moore married Mary A. Shutters 29 Jul 1880. She was the daughter of Will Shutters, who served in Company K or C in the Civil War. Their children were Milton and Ralph Y.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 3 2001