The Frank Coffelt Home

Location: Four miles northwest of Woodstock, Virginia on Route 604

Built: circa 1800


Accurate records of the early Gochenours could not be traced at the time of this survey (1937).

12 Jun 1847: Levi Gochenour sold lands lying four miles west of Woodstock, Virginia to Henry Gochenour (of Abraham). Deed Book WW, page 267

Made 15 April 1861, probated 10 Jun 1861: Henry Gochenour bequeathed to his son-in-law, William H. Smootz, the home farm upon which he resided. Will Book 9, page 218

1 Apr 1866: William H. Smootz and Barbara, his wife, sold to Eli Coffelt for $2,150.00. Deed Book 7, page 415

Eli Coffelt died circa 1900, his son, Frank lived in this house in 1937.

Physical Description

This two and one half story rectangular log structure with metal gabled roof has one inside stone chimney located in its center. There are seventeen windows with twelve and fifteen 8x10 panes and no shutters. A front porch with railing balusters through square posts runs the length of the house.

There are eight large rooms with nine and one half foot ceilings, seven foot ceilings in upstairs rooms. There is a cellar under the entire house with a large fireplace and an old board floor. A spring is located in one room of the cellar.

Historical Significance

Eli Coffelt was among the deacons of the Zion Church in 1861, and a member of the Shenandoah County School Board in 1871.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 2 2001