The Frederick Craig Place (aka Indian Fort)

Location: West of Woodstock, Virginia, Route 604 to Fairview, then one half mile north on Route 623

Built: prior to 1800


13 Jan 1838: Christian Funkhouser and Christina, his wife, convey to Frederick Craig.

18 May 1882: Frederick Craig bequeaths the home place whereon he resided to his wife, Polly, for her lifetime, then to pass on to William P. Dellinger as trustee for the benefit of his children; will probated 12 Jun 1882.

29 Mar 1899: William T. Williams, special commissioner, sold to Samuel B. Hepner for the sum of $5,000.00, the home place of Frederick Craig, about four miles northwest of Woodstock, Virginia.

Physical Description

By 1937, this pioneer home was used as a spring house for the spring of water that is just outside and flows in a strong stream through the entire basement along the wall.

The high stone walls have four portholes about twenty inches square, tapering to a few inches on the outside. A large stone fireplace with heavy pine log across, was once used for cooking. The floor is of flagstones. The ceiling is of heavy logs covered with wide boards which form the floor for the second story. This is divided into two rooms by a partition of wide beaded boards. A stone fireplace is also in this part of the house. At its side, a narrow, concealed stairway leads to the loft above. Most of the windows are broken, but old, batten, solid shutters close up the openings. The walls are of logs, chunked, daubed and whitewashed. There are four windows, with nine panes each. Plain outside steps lead up to the batten door for an entrance.

Historical Significance

An oil mill was on this place where linseed oil was made fro the flax raised on the farm. This was said to have been long before the Civil War.

Frederick Craig was an old man during the war and was paralyzed, which made talking difficult for him. As he was a man of wealth, possessing much cattle, the Yankees molested him often, and he had to resort to other means to have them understand him.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 2 2001