The Fanny Leary Home

Location: Maurertown, Virginia, north end, on the west side of Route 11

Built: circa 1830


15 Mar 1830: Charles Maurer to Lorenzo Elton. Deed Book VV, page 48

11 Jun 1833: David Crabill, trustee for Lorenzo Elton, to Joseph F. Sonnenstine. Deed Book MM, page 313

27 Sep 1854: Catherine Sonnestine (sic), widow of Joseph, deceased, to Frances Leary. Will Book 5, page 3

30 Sep 1884: Frances Leary to B. Frank Saum. Deed Book 37, page 368

9 Nov 1897: B. Frank Saum to Charles Hottel. Deed Book 53, page 293

30 Oct 1901: Charles Hottel to Annie R. Hottel. Deed Book 55, page 400

7 Jul 1906: Annie R. Hottel to Hugh O. Beydler. Deed Book 65, page 229

8 Feb 1916: Hugh C. Beydler to E. B. Shaver. Deed Book 82, page 183

15 Mar 1918: E.B. Shaver to Roy Hockman. Deed Book 85, page 145

21 Oct 1919: Roy Hockman to Clarence H. Hockman. Deed Book 87, page 166

9 Jan 1922: Clarence H. Hockman to G. B. Saum. Deed Book 91, page 46

17 Sep 1925: G. B. Saum to Mrs. Mary E. Sager. Deed Book 96, page 357

19 Jan 1929: Mary E. Sager to Paul B. Sager. Deed Book 112, page 422

Physical Description

This tall, narrow house was built of logs and straw brick. It had two long rooms, both downstairs and upstairs, with board partitions between and two outside chimneys. Small panes of glass were in all the windows. It has been remodeled.

The interior woodwork remained original. Irregular boards are in the floors and rough hand-hewn beams support the upstairs floors. Many knotholes are visible. A closed narrow two-flight stairway is located in one corner of the room. A wide baseboard with grooved moulding at the top finishes the rooms. The walls are papered against the logs in one part of the house, while some rooms have been plastered and painted. Several original door with six panels and two crosses remain.

Historical Significance

This house bore many battle scars before it was remodeled. It is still pointed out as the house where Mrs. Lydia Fisher's leg was blown off. This woman lived at Harrisville, and came to the village to visit when the opposing forces were battling along the highway. General Ashby was stationed on a hill to the south, when one of the shells from his fire passed through this house, tearing off Mrs. Fisher's leg at the knee, knocking her shoe through the next room to the top of a cupboard. This shell knocked a hole in the chimney, passing out at the corner. This end of the house was made of straw bricks, said to have been a part of the old County Home which was torn down in the early 1800's.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 3 2001