The Frederick Lonas Place

Location: Six miles west of Mt. Jackson, Virginia, on Cross Roads Route 720. The house is in a field south of the road across Crooked Run.

Built: circa 1833-1835


1 Mar 1794: Peter Miller, a hatter, and Ann Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Michael Zirkle two tracts of land which were granted to Christian Sheffer by patent, 3 Oct 1787, and by said Christian Sheffer and Anna, his wife, to Peter Miller 7 Jan 1788. Deed Book I, page 389

14 Oct 1833: Lewis Zirkle, executor of the estate of Michael Zirkle, dec'd., sold to Joseph Lonas two tracts of land adjoining. Deed Book NN, page 38

Probated 13 Mar 1893: Joseph Lonas in his last will and testament, devised a tract of land containing 1409 acres to his son, Frederick, made 21 Feb 1889. Will Book 24, page 101

8 Feb 1911: L. Triplett, special commissioner, sold to G. Wilkins and S.A. Wilkins, land which Frederick Lonas died seized and possessed, probated 8 May 1910. Will Book 30, page 117

24 Mar 1917: S.A. Wilkins and Mamie M. Wilkins, his wife, Gideon Wilkins and Josephine D., his wife, sold to Joseph M. Polk. Deed Book 83, page 466

15 Mar 1918: Joseph M. Polk and Laura M. Polk, his wife, sold to Charles W. Lonas and Myrtle E. Lonas, his wife. Deed Book 85, page 88

9 Jun 1931: Philip Williams, special commissioner for heirs of Charles W. Lonas, dec'd. and Myrtle E. Lonas, sold to John E. Sager. Deed Book 107, page 422

Physical Description

This is a two story, ell-shaped log (or frame) house with metal roof and a brick and stone chimney at the northeast end of the house. The weatherboarding is plain and the cornices plain pine. There are sixteen windows having four 16x20 panes or twelve 6x8 panes. The shutters are plain removable. There is one dormer window with a hipped roof. There is a porch in front and on the ell.

There are eight rooms and the ceiling height is eight feet. The stairs are enclosed. There is a cellar with limestone walls. The walls are papered except for the kitchen, where they are painted. The floor boards are wide in the oldest part of the house and narrow in the newest. At one time, there was a plain pine fireplace in the corner of the kitchen.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 3 2001