20 Mar 1782: Lawrence Snapp, Sr. to Philip Snapp.
12 Jun 1812: Philp Snapp to Martin Hupp.
12 Oct 1835: George F. Hupp and William McCord to John Copp.
13 Nov 1865: John Copp to John E. Copp.
4 May 1896: John E. Copp to Clark Copp.
This is a very attractive old home with many things of interest about the place. The main part of the house is built of logs, while the rear wing is of stone. Right behind this wing is na old log building which was used as slave quarters, later being used as a weaving house. Part of the loom and its equipment still (1937) can be seen. A bake oven is nearby and also other old log buildings which contain early implements for farming; a large wooden rake with eighteen teeth, a mower, etc., all clumsy looking implements.
The log spring house is still used and also contains old time equipment. A wonderfully fine spring of water flows from the cellar through this spring house, the out into a sparkling stream through the large yard. Tall evergreen trees and old boxwood grow around the house, while large oaks and maples give plenty of shade.
A large chimney occupies a large part of the cellar, it being about twelve by seven feet at the base, tapering to the top.
A very substantial brick and stone barn is across the road from the house.Historical Significance
Lawrence Snapp was a vestryman in Muhlenburg's Church at Woodstock, and was a prominent citizen of Shenandoah County, as was Martin Hupp. The latter is also buried on the Copp farm.
General A.P. Hill camped across the road from this house and was supplied with water from the spring. He cut down much timber for fuel. This field was known as the "Mine Field" in which a Negro digging post holes once found a small lump of gold. A mine was opened up about 1840 and some gold, silver and manganese was mined; it was later closed up by water coming into it.
John E. Copp was accused of being a bushwhacker because he had some guns hidden in the cellar, which were found; he was taken to the top of Round Hill, nearby, for trial. The guns came into his possession in a strange manner. As the Confederate soldiers were returning from the Battle of Fisher's Hill, they came running down the road throwing their guns left and right; John E. Copp gathered them up and put them in the cellar with the above mentioned results. This almost cost him his life, and the family were in great distress over the trial, when some soldiers came riding by and offered to go up on the hill and try to save him. One of them requested that he first be given a quart of milk to drink, which was hurriedly done, and he later returned with the prisoner, much to the joy of the family.
This same John E. Copp was a suffer of asthma, and as a remedy he sealed a lock of his hair in the door frame of the cellar door when he was ten years old; he cut out a small round hole, put in the hair, then replaced the plug. After being in there for about ninety five years, it can still (1937) be taken out and apparently is the same as when put in; It is said that the asthma left him in later life.
George A. Copp preached his first sermon at Round Hill Church in 1884. He took possession of his father's farm in 1882.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb