9 Mar 1801: Abraham Beydler, Sr. and Barbara, his wife, sold to Abraham Beydler, Jr. tract of land formerly granted to Wolrick Keener, October 20, 1750, from the Proprietor's office, who conveyed the same to Balthar Hoover, who conveyed same to Jacob Hoover, March 26, 1783, who conveyed same to ABraham Beydler, Sr., September 11, 1798.. Deed Book M, page 354
Probated 11 Jun 1849: Abraham Beydler, deceased, in his last will and testament requested that his home farm be sold as soon as convenient after his death. Will Book Y, page 501
10 Sep 1849: Abraham Beydler and Isaac Wisman, executor of Abraham Beydler, deceased, sold to Jacob Copp. Deed Book YY, page 247
31 Mar 1875: Jacob Copp heirs sold to J.B. Brumbeck. Deed Book 13, page 9
20 Mar 1911: Julia K. Brumbeck sold to James E. Gearing, George F. Gearing and M.C. Gearing tract of land which J.B. Brumbeck, deceased, died seized and possessed. Deed Book 75, page 101
Probated 20 Nov 1928: M.C. Gearing to Mary C. Gearing all real estate. Will Book 36, page 256
This three and one half story log and stone house has a metal gabled roof with two inside brick chimneys. There are nineteen windows with varying numbers and sizes of panes and no shutters. There is a porch running the entire length of the front of the house with steep stairs at either end and four railing balusters.
There are eleven large rooms with eight and one half foot ceilings. One open string stairway runs three flights from basement to attic. The cellar is high and made of stone with five port holes and a large twelve foot chimney with an open fireplace.Historical Significance
This tall house is under a steep, rocky hill, facing a broad river bottom. That it was built for defense is evidenced by the high stone basement with five port holes, approximately a foot square inside, tapering to a few inches outside. It is located in the Narrow Passage neighborhood that suffered from Indian attacks. A stone spring-house is near by over a fine flowing spring of water. The barn has a deep wall of stone with logs for the upper part which extends out forming a shed.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb