Harrison Crabill Home

Location: Half a mile east of Maurertown, Virginia, on Route 654.

Built: circa 1800


4 Apr 1882: Silas M. Crabill and Lucretia, his wife, Nathan A. Crabill and Emma, his wife, Jacob Boyer and Ann M., his wife, sold to John E. Crabill the piece of land which descended to them from their father, Harrison N. Crabill, dec'd. Deed Book 23, page 57

2 Apr 1902: P.W. Magruder, Special Commissioner, to Martha J. Ewers. In the chancery cause of Hugh Crabill vs. Roy Crabill and L.W. Ewers whereby Martha J. Ewers became the purchaser at the price of $2130, it being the same land conveyed to John E. Crabill by the heirs of Harrison Crabill, dec'd. Deed Book 56, page 142

7 Dec 1904: Martha J. Ewers to James N. Spitler, the same land which was conveyed to her by P.W. Magruder, Special Commissioner. Deed Book 61, page 191

Physical Description

This is a three and one half story rectangular log house with gabled, metal roof and two inside brick chimneys. The weatherboarding is plain. The cornices are of paneled wood, and there are fancy scalloped cornices over windows, and fancy carved brackets in gables. There are nineteen windows having four 12x24 panes. The shutters have stationary slats. The one-story porch has fancy carved balusters. There is a plain back porch. The entrance is an ordinary door with side lights and transom.

There are eight large rooms and the ceilings are nine feet high. The open string paneled stairway has fancy decorated square posts. The basement is used as a kitchen and dining room. The doors have been remodeled; they are of pine and some have four panels and the others six. The walls are papered and there is a three-foot painted wainscot. The doors have outside iron locks and common hinges. Under part of the house there are puncheon floors covered with regular wide board floors. The woodwork throughout the house is very smooth.

Historical Significance

Harrison Crabill was a son-in-law of Jacob Hottel, Jr., who was born in 1766 and died prior to 1845. It is claimed that Jacob Hottel, Jr., built this house and lived here.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 15 2001