25 Mar 1788: Adam Seibert and wife sold to Michael Blind. Deed Book G, page 88
1 May 1832: Samuel Funkhouser, acting Exec. of last will and testament of Michael Blind, dec'd., sold to Jacob Funkhouser. (Michael Blind in his last will and testament dated 11 Apr 1831 requested that his three tracts of land be sold by his Exec.). Deed Book LL, page 234
18 Sep 1852: Mark Bird, Commissioner, sold to Noah Hockman. (Chancery between George W. Statton, et al., Comp. and Milton Funkhouser, et al., def.). Deed Book 1, page 158
16 Mar 1897: Noah Hockman conveyed to his daughter, Martha E. Funkhouser. (Mrs. Henry Funkhouser).
This two and one half story "T" shaped stone house has a metal gabled roof with three brick inside chimneys. There are eighteen windows with two 24x24 panes and shutters with movable slats. The windows are not original. There is a wide porch that extends the entire front and end of the house.
There are six large and nine small rooms with nine foot ceilings. There is an open string two-flight stairway with square balusters and a turned newel. The cellar under part of the house has a packed ground floor.Historical Significance
This house is built of rough limestone with lime mortar and has the appearance of early masonry, yet date of building is unknown.
An old graveyard on top of a high hill above the house shows several neglected graves with limestone markers, lettering gone to decay. The only stone that is readable is as follows: "In memory of Jacob J. Funkhouser who departed this life Sept. 25th 1846 In the 43rd year of his age."
Irregular clumps of Iris surround these few graves (1937), while high briars predominate.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb