5 Mar 1847: George Keller and Franny, his wife, sold to Absolum B. Funkhouser.
1 Mar 1852: Absolum B. Funkhouser and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Levi Funkhouser.
4 Mar 1911: Samuel Colielle and Mary, his wife, sold to George Keller.
20 Nov 1911: Probated 10 Apr 1915. Isaiah Funkhouser bequeathed to his wife, Rebecca M. Funkhouser, all his estate, until her death or marriage, and then to her surviving children, land which Isaiah inherited from Levi Funkhouser.Physical Description
A very beautiful farm house of unusual interest. Very large and roomy with wide hall and many windows throughout. Part of the house has been modernized without losing its architectural beauty. The extremely large side and back porch is attractive with its railing and balusters. The front portico has four large columns and is in keeping with the front of the house. A path from the road, through the picket gate by the side of an old time style, leads to the portico. Wide lawns surround this house, many old lilac bushes, and other shrubbery and trees add to the homelike appearance of this place.Historical Significance
This house was used as a hospital and operations were performed here during the Civil War. Gen. Fremont had his headquarters there in the spring of 1862 when he was advancing into the Valley from the west to intercept Stonewall Jackson.
In the room that had been occupied by Gen. Fremont, Mrs. Funkhouser has a fine collection of antiques and curios.
This house was in the line of firing from Cedar Creek Hill, and even the torch had been applied ready to burn the house, it escaped devastation. An old log and brick building which was once slave quarters is now used as a wash house. It is supposed to have been built in 1850.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb