13 Apr 1856: Peter Doll and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Samuel Doll and Elizabeth, his wife. Deed Book VV, page 431
9 Nov 1855: Andrew J. Cullers and Mary, his wife, sold to Joseph Doll the property formerly owned by Samuel Doll being part of the lands allotted to Peter Doll in division of lands of Nicholas Doll, dec'd. Nov. 1817. Deed Book 3, page 214
27 Jan 1873: Joseph Doll sold to Erasmus Painter. Deed Book 19, page 248
30 May 1884: Erasmus Painter and Martha E., his wife, sold to Mrs. Ida D. Gochenour. Deed Book 28, page 14
15 Mar 1930: Mrs. Ida D. Gochenour died intestate. This property descended to her daughters, Stella Shrum (nee Gochenour) and Zula Gochenour.Physical Description
This two and one half story "ell" shaped frame house has a metal gabled roof and three chimneys of both brick and stone. There are thirteen windows with four 14x27 panes and shutters with part stationary and part movable slats. There is a front and a back porch with fancy cornices and balusters.
There are six large rooms with nine foot ceilings. Under part of the house is a cellar with hard packed ground floor. The walls are papered and the floors are of wide irregular pine boards.Historical Significance
Nicholas Doll was one of the large land holders with a grant from the Proprietor's Office of the Northern Neck of Virginia, bearing date of 24 Jun 1771. he is listed in the "Heads of Families in 1785" along with Frederick Doll and George Doll (Dull).
In July 1867, Erasmus, Painter, A.M., was principal of a "Male Academy" in New Market, Va. he was also a prisoner of war during the Civil War.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb