3 Nov 1832: Heirs at law of Abraham Stover, deceased, sold to Jacob Rickard for $3030.00, containing 256 acres. Deed Book LL, page 492
19 Jan 1854: Jacob Rickard and Elizabeth, his wife, Isaac Rickard, Sylvester Rickard and Jane, his wife, Peter Speigle and Elizabeth, his wife, and Mary Ann Rickard, being five of the ten children and heirs at law of Jacob Rickard, deceased, conveyed to Ashur and David Rickard for $4500. Deed Book 2, page 35
13 Mar 1854: Ashur and David Rickard sold to Joseph Burner a part of Jacob Rickard's home place for $1000. Deed Book 2, page 93
Johnny Burner, son of Joseph Burner, inherited this place and owned it in 1937.Physical Description
This two and one half story "L" shaped log house has a shingled and metal gabled roof with two brick chimneys. There are thirteen windows with twelve 8x10 panes. There is a front porch with a sloping roof, narrow boards, railings and small round posts. There is also a two story back porch.
The house has two large and four small rooms with eight foot ceilings and floors of wide, irregular pine boards. There is a closed in stairway with a small door leading up from the back porch. A cellar with a hard ground floor is under part of the house. Doors are large and heavy with two long panels and long iron bars and latches. The walls are plastered and part papered. There are large fireplaces in the living room and kitchen and a gun rack over the door.Historical Significance
One of the early homes on the Shenandoah River. The cellar is well protected by heavy stone walls, and it was used as a hiding place during the Civil War.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb