1 Apr 1839: Henry W. Koontz to Reuben Knicely. Deed Book RR, pages 166-167
17 May 1845: Reuben Knicely to Mark Bird. Deed Book VV, page 102
21 Jul 1849: Mark Bird to Jonathan Crabill. Deed Book ZZ, page 344
13 Dec 1853: Commissioner assigned all acres to Sarah Crabill, widow of Jonathan Crabill, deceased. Deed Book 6, page 297
14 Jan 1873: Jonathan S. Crabill to Mary F. Crabill. Deed Book 11, page 258
1 Sep 1884: Abraham Koontz, trustee for Mary F. Koontz (nee Mary F. Crabill) to Abraham Rickard. Deed Book 25, page 48
19 Sep 1898: Abraham Rickard to Susan S. Fahnestock and Annie E. Fahnestock, her daughter. Deed Book 49, page 230
15 Sep 1928: Annie E. Sager (nee Annie E. Fahnestock) to Joseph Miller. Deed Book 102, page 151Physical Description
This old brick house had a new front porch added some years ago with a balcony above. there are two front doors with large old worn limestone sills and heavy frames on the sides and top, made of fourteen inch solid boards. These doors have eight panels and three crosses, with a three pane transom above. All doors are put together with wooden pegs and have brass knobs. One of these doors enters a large square room on the south end of the house which was once a barroom. The other door enters the wide nine foot hall which runs through to the back porch.
A wide stairway with three landings extends all the way to the attic. Some of the steps are worm eaten. A smooth, plain, round railing with slat balusters and small round posts finishes the stairway, the riser of which is painted to resemble marble. There are five chimneys, all with fireplaces and uneven brick hearths. Mantels of odd designs, much ribbed, curved, and otherwise decorated are in every room. The chair boarding and baseboards have heavy beaded molding above. The woodwork throughout the house is beaded. The walls are twelve to fifteen inches thick, and some of the door sills measure sixteen inches deep. Large old locks with the coffee mill handles are seen on some doors.
The long, double back porch is plastered overhead, has octagon posts and narrow slat balusters with round rail. This porch connects with another back wing with brick floor and brick walls which have never been plastered, but which have the molded chair boarding and baseboards. An eight foot chimney is in this old wing which has a dilapidated shingle roof. The roof of the main part of the house is tin.Historical Significance
This place was known as a tavern, or "Wagon Stand" as they were sometimes called when all hauling was done by teams. This was before the railroad was built. Large yards accommodated these wagons which were placed in regular order, often in deep mire which froze in winter, making it necessary to dig them out next morning before the journey could be resumed. Horses were put up at the barns while the teamsters refreshed themselves at the bar in the large south room which served as a lobby or baggage room. Here they gathered around the fire to relate events of their journey and other tales.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb