From Wayland's History of Shenandoah County
"In 1735 Henry Willis sold to Jacob Funk 2030 acres, commonly called Stoney Lick, on Tumbling Run, on the north side of the North Branch of the Shenandoah River. This tract lies between Fishers Hill and Strasburg, Virginia, including part of the site of Strasburg. It had been granted to Willis on August 21, 1743 (Orange County Deed Book No. 1). In February 1736 or 1737, Jacob Funk sold 180 acres of the Stony Lick tract to John Funk of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, for 18 pounds and 5 shillings. The witnesses were John Smith and John Hite."
In a surveyor's record book (Court records) a division of this large tract of land is shown in which John Snapp has a share, by deed bearing date of Dec. 10, 1798, containing 25 acres and all houses, buildings, orchards, waters, etc. Deed Book R, page 66
15 Feb 1833: Jacob Funk, Sr., conveyed to Jacob Funk, Jr., four tracts of land, 148 acres, 5 1/2 acres, 28 acres and 68 acres, the latter being a life estate held by Jacob, Sr., and Catherine, his wife, who was Catherine Snapp. Deed Book MM, page 154
1 Mar 1870: Jacob Funk, Jr., and Elizabeth, his wife, to John Funk, for the sum of $8000. Deed Book 38, page 30
12 Aug 1889: John Funk sells to John Fisher part of the farm, including the buildings and improvements. Deed Book 37, page 381
John Fisher conveyed to John W. Rudolph. Deed Book 40, page 119
1 Dec 1903: John W. Rudolph and Amanda, his wife, convey to Charles H. Estep and Phoebe, his wife, being the same land conveyed to said John W. Rudolph by John W. Fisher. Deed Book 59, page 217Physical Description
This two and one half story stone house has a metal gabled roof and two stone chimneys, one inside and one outside. There are twenty windows with twelve 7x9 panes. The porch is single story, low to the ground with octagonal posts.
There are eight large rooms with eight and one half foot ceilings downstairs and seven foot ceilings upstairs. There is a fireplace in the cellar, which has a packed ground floor. The walls are whitewashed and the partitions are of wide boards. The floors are of medium wide boards and there is one high, plain mantel.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb