12 Oct 1817: Henry Artz, deceased, in his last will and testament requested his plantation be sold, or divided equally among his nine children.
23 Oct 1826: Jacob Artz and Sarah, his wife, heirs of Henry Artz, deceased, sold to Jonas Burner.
8 Oct 1847: Jonas Burner sold to John Hausenfluck.
21 May 1885: Syram E. Hausenfluck, Calvin L. Hausenfluck and Rachel, his wife, sold to Joseph A. Hausenfluck and George Wright and Sallie, his wife, their interest in the home farm which John Hausenfluck died seized and possessed.
14 Mar 1890: Joseph A. Hausenfluck granted to Sallie and George Wright his half interest in the home farm.
15 May 1920: Gertie Wright Rinker and Lloyd Rinker, her husband, conveyed to John W. Wright all their one half interest in the farm which Sallie and George Wright, her husband, died seized and possessed, they being the parents of Gertie Wright Rinker.
19 Jun 1926: G.E. Pence, trustee, sold to Mrs. Emma L. Minnick.
29 Oct 1930: Emma L. Minnick conveyed to Claude Ruby and Florence Ruby, his wife.Physical Description
This was once a large plantation which has been divided. The Shenandoah river winds through it with many horse shoe bends. This home stands under a steep hill with the river and mountain behind it. A splendid view of the mountain is had from the large back porch. Many old trees still stand in the yard, showing signs of decay.
The woodwork in the house is still (1937) good and represents the early architecture. The basement was once used for slaves, having a large fireplace for cooking.Historical Significance
This was one of the pioneer homes in the area.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb