24 Nov 1779: George Sellers sold to Jacob Rinker for 5 shillings, current money of Virginia, 203 acres of land and buildings thereon being the same which was formerly granted by the Lord Proprietor's Office of the Northern Neck of Virginia, April 23, 1753, to Charles Byrne, deceased, and the said Charles dying intestate, the 406 acres descended to his brother, Samuel Byrnes as being the only heir, and Samuel Byrnes conveyed by deed to George Sellers march 17 and 18, 1772, to have and to hold one year and paying on Lady day ground rent of one peppercorn if the same be lawfully demanded. Deed Book C, page 233
25 Nov 1779: George Sellers and Barbary, his wife, sold to Jacob Rinker, Jr., for 50 pounds, current money of Virginia, 203 acres of land and buildings as deeded in Deed Book C, page 233. Deed Book C, page 234
There is a lost link in records from Jacob Miller to John F. Webb.
John Webb received land from Jacob Webb, deceased, September 4, 1899, it being 32 acres; his share in the division. Deed Book 59, page 76
4 Sep 1899: May, between Minnie J. Mooney and J.F. Mooney, her husband, and Anna M. Webb to above for land conveyed to M.J. Mooney by John F. Webb, October 21, 1903, Deed Book 83, pages 83-84, containing 32 acres, it being the same tract of land assigned to John F. Webb in division of the estate of Jacob Webb. Deed Book 59, page 76Physical Description
The house is built over a spring, and in a hollow so that the room above the cellar and spring are about six feet above the ground. The house is built entirely of stone. The spring is separated from the cellar by a board partition; and a door which is made of wide pine boards. At the east side of the room is a large stone fireplace and at the right of this is a narrow stairway leading to the room above. In this room at the same place is another fireplace. This is the oldest house in Conicville.Historical Significance
Jacob Rinker was an emigrant from Switzerland, from the Canton of Zurich. He is buried in a family cemetery across the road from the house, on a hill about one quarter mile away. His tombstone is very interesting. His son, Jacob, was a colonel during the latter part of the Revolutionary War, or at its close. His titles given in Wayland's History of Shenandoah County are: Lieutenant in the Revolutionary Army; Captain in the County Militia and Colonel in the latter part or following the Revolution.
This house is a part of the Jacob Rinker property and is now owned by one of his heirs. According to the records found in deeds, it was built before or about 1753. Legend has it that it was at one time an Indian fort.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb