10 Apr 1824: John Altdoerffer and Mary, his wife, and George Altdoerffer and Catharine, his wife, for the sum of $4,833.33 sold to Daniel Soxman and Adam Soxman three tracts of land that were willed to them by their father, Frederick Altdoerffer. Deed Book DD, page 103-104
The first tract of land hereby sold is the same that was granted to Frederick Altdoerffer, dec'd., by Thomas Lord Fairfax, proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia, bearing date of Sept. 19, 1770.
29 Aug 1827: Daniel Soxman, dec'd., devised to his brother, Christian Soxman, and to his sister, Elizabeth Rootz, his one half interest in the home farm. Will Book O, page 175
26 Mar 1836: Christian Soxman and Magdalene, his wife, sold to Jacob Good and Sarah Spigle for $620. Deed Book PP, page 46
23 Jun 1838: Sarah Spigle sold to Jacob Good. Deed Book QQ, page 411
9 Dec 1846: George Rootz and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Jacob Good. Deed Book WW, page 50
Deed made Aug. 5, 1887, recorded June, 1891. Geo. W. Miley, Exec. of Jacob Good's will (Will Book 16, page 359) wherein after the youngest child became of age, sale was to be made of the therein mentioned real estate which was part of a larger tract of land devised by Daniel Soxman in his will dated Aug. 29, 1827 (Will Book O, page 175) to Christian Soxman and Elizabeth Rootz, and afterward conveyed by deeds from Christian Soxman and wife to Jacob Good and Sarah Spigle to Jacob Good, and George and Elizabeth Rootz to Jacob Good. Geo. W. Miley, Exec., sold to James Sine for $2765.Deed Book 35, page 62Physical Description
This is a two and one half story rectangular log house with gabled metal roof and two inside brick chimneys. The weatherboarding is medium wide and plain. The cornices are plain wood. There are twenty one windows having four 14x28 panes. A porch extends the entire length of the house and has turned posts and small square balusters. There are four front doors having four panels.
There are nine large rooms and the ceiling height is nine feet. The stairway is walled in. A trap door in the floor leads to the cellar and was used during the War. The cellar has a hard-packed dirt floor and extends under the entire house. Some doors are six-panel two-cross while others are four-panel one-cross. The walls are papered and painted in part of the house. There are partitions and ceilings of wide beaded boards twelve to fifteen inches wide. There is paneled wainscoting. The doors have long iron bar hinges, common hinges and outside locks. The floors are of wide boards of varying widths. There are heavy fluted door and window frames with fancy corner blocks.Historical Significance
A field between the railroad and the barn was the campground during the Civil War of the Northern Army, a Pennsylvania regiment. Pieces of guns and other equipment have been plowed up in this field.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb