17 May 1848: Abraham R. Whisson and Eliza, his wife, sold to Adolph Heller. Deed Book XX, page 251
9 Oct 1858: Adolph Heller and Mahala Heller sold to Thomas Miller. Deed Book 7, page 270
30 Jul 1867: Thomas Miller sold to James H. Spiker. Deed Book 8, page 180
Recorded 3 Dec 1929: James H. Spiker dec'd., in his last will and testament, devised to his son, Harry N. Spiker, the home place. Will Book 36, page 459Physical Description
This two and one half story "ell" shaped common brick house with a metal gabled roof has three brick inside chimneys. There are nineteen windows with nine upper and six lower panes that are 9x12 inches in size. The shutters have stationary slats. There are plain one story porches, both front and back.
There are six large rooms with nine foot ceilings. There is a cellar with a brick floor and fireplace under part of the house. The walls are papered with chair rails in several rooms. The floors are of medium width boards of uniform width. There are beautiful door frames with hand made rose block corners. There are six mantels of neat design, with fluted and reeded pilasters and paneled fascia.Historical Significance
Family tradition is that Adolph Heller built this house, but the exact date is not known.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb