22 May 1793: Abraham Bird and May, his wife, John Moore and Sarah, his wife, Isaac Goore and Ingeno, his wife, Cornelius Newman and Mary, his wife, John Taylor and Magdalene, his wife, all being heirs of Mounce Bird, Sr., dec'd., sold to William Bird and Mounce Bird, sons of Mounce Bird, Sr., dec'd., two tracts of land containing 610 acres for 1,000 pounds. Deed Book S, page 183
Probated 12 Nov 1838: William Bird, dec'd., bequeathed all his property both real and personal to the children of his brother, Mounce Bird, dec'd., namely: Clare, wife of Benjamin Miller, William Bird, Polly Bird, Catharine (the wife of Edward Walton), Mounce Bird, Derrick Bird, Abraham Bird and Sally Bird. Made Sept. 1827. Will Book U, page 421
6 May 1837: George W. Bird and Mary, his wife, heirs of Mounce Bird, dec'd., sold to Joel Pennybaker. Deed Book 22, page 2
22 May 1840: John Haas, Commissioner, sold to Joel Pennybaker at public auction William Bird, Jr.'s share. Deed Book SS, page 493
25 Feb 1842: Joel Pennybaker sold to Robert Fray. Deed Book TT, page 115
20 Nov 1849: Robert Fray and Isabella S., his wife, sold to Ephraim Woods. Deed Book 1, page 201
12 Sep 1890: M.L. Walton, special commissioner, sold to David Neff, land assigned to Elizabeth Woods, widow of Ephraim Woods, dec'd., including mansion house. Deed Book 34, page 115
20 Jun 1898: David Neff sold to William P. Crickenberger. Deed Book 49, page 220
1 Jul 1901: William P. Crickenberger and Annie, his wife, sold to Casper C. Henkel. Deed Book 55, page 220
15 Jan 1906: Casper C. Henkel and Margaretta M., his wife, sold to James H. Spitzer. Deed Book 64, page 99Physical Description
This is a two story "ell" shaped concrete house with a hipped metal roof and two chimneys, one at the end of the house and one in the center of the ell. There are fifteen windows having twelve 6x8 panes. The shutters are plain and stationary. There is a porch the length of the ell. The entrance is a plain two panel door with no trim.
There are seven rooms and the ceiling height is eight feet. The house has plain open stairs. It has two panel pine doors with plain trim and original iron hinges and locks. The walls are papered and natural finish. The interior cornices are plain. The floors are of real wide boards. The house is made of a mixture of stone and cement, and is smooth inside and out. the walls are about sixteen inches thick. The cellar is made like a room; has a large stone fireplace, and is used to butcher, to boil apple butter, etc.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb