The Jacob Tisinger Home

Location: Turn west on Orkney Grade at Mt. Jackson, take Route 710 turning west at Route 715, which is the next intersection to the west. Turn south down lane to house at intersection of Route 709, which is about one half mile down Route 710.

Built: circa 1750


Peter Tisinger by grant from Lord Fairfax.

13 Feb 1815: Peter Tisinger made disposition of his lands, stock and household property, including house clock (A large Grandfather's Clock).

Henry Tisinger received land back of Buck Hill, containing thirty acres, as well as other land.

Heirs of Peter Tisinger were Elizabeth, wife of Peter Tisinger and their children: John Tisinger, George Tisinger, Magdaline Tisinger, Henry Tisinger, Barbara Tisinger (wife of William Bowman) and Caty Tisinger (wife of David Funkhouser).

17 Jan 1852: Henry Tisinger sold to Jacob Tisinger for $1500 current money of the United States, several tracts of land comprising Henry Tisinger's estate.

10 Jan 1880: Jacob Tisinger willed to his heirs his estate. The heirs are as follows: Anna Tisinger (wife of Jacob Tisinger) and their children, John D. Tisinger, Elizabeth Tisinger (an invalid), Ann Rebecca Tisinger, Susan Frances Tisinger and Margaret Bell Tisinger.

Physical Description

This house was remodeled by adding weatherboarding, a porch along the back of the house and putting a cellar under part of the house. The front entrance is one-story, square posts, portico type, the front door being flanked on each side by lights and also across the top, the bottom half being paneled. The stairway is very novel in the fact that while the stairs are straight, the rail is circular connecting the upstairs rail with the stair rail by a circular turn. The newel posts are narrower at the top than at the bottom and eight sided. The fireplace mantel is plain with hollow square columns at each side and the whole is moulded with the same design as door and window facing. The doors are two-panel and the latches are modernized with china knobs and iron locks. In the hall is a tall Grandfather's Clock, which was brought over by Peter Tisinger.

The cabinet was made in Woodstock by Jacob Fry. His name is inscribed across the face of the clock. The two heavy weights are hung on cat gut ropes or cables. The paper giving the date and history of the clock has been destroyed and the information forgotten, but it is supposed to be over two hundred and fifty years old. According to the papers in the house, the clock was brought over by Peter Tisinger and placed in the house in 1737.

Historical Significance

The Tisingers have always been great business men, and down through the years have always made a name for themselves in the business world.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 19 2001