This tract of land was an original grant from Lord Fairfax by deed July 23, 1750.
Will probated 29 Dec 1791: Christopher Wendel devised real estate to his two eldest sons, Philip Wendel and John Wendel. Will Book D, page 97
10 Feb 1812: Philip Wendel and Elizabeth, his wife, and John Wendel, sons and devisees of Christopher Wendel, dec'd., sold to Emmanuel Wendel. Deed Book S, page 441
2 Oct 1839: Rachel Williams, widow of Benjamin Williams, and formerly Rachel Wendel, Rebecca Wendel and Susannah Wendel sold to David Wendel - all being children and heirs of Emmanuel Wendel, dec'd. Deed Book RR, page 396
Probated 11 Apr 1859: David Wendell willed all of his real estate to his nephew, Daniel Wendel. Will Book 8, page 6
11 Jan 1861: Commissioner assigned land of Daniel Wendel, dec'd., to his son, John H. Wendell. Deed Book 6, page 402
12 Dec 1928: John H. Wendell sold to M.L. Parsons. Deed Book 102, page 474
24 Dec 1929: M.L. Parsons sold to John H. Wendell. Deed Book 104, page 419
5 May 1933: John H. Wendell conveyed to Addie Frances Wendell. Deed Book 112, page 61Physical Description
This two and one half story, L-shaped, log house with gabled, metal roof has two outside stone chimneys. The weatherboarding is wide and plain. The cornices are plain wood. There are sixteen windows with twelve 7x9 panes. There are two porches with square posts, and the back porch has a railing. The entrance is a plain six-panel, two-cross door.
There are seven medium-sized rooms and the ceiling height is eight and one half feet. The concealed stairway is small and steep with batten door and iron latch. The doors are of three types; batten, with long iron bar hinge, also H-hinge; six-panel, two-cross; and two long vertical panels. The walls are plastered and whitewashed. There is a beaded chair rail. There are heavy iron hinges, H-hinges and long iron bar hinges. There are large locks and latches. The floors are of heavy boards ten to sixteen inches wide. There is a plain tall narrow mantel. Part of the house is plastered outside against the logs.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb