27 Mar 1847: John R. Strayer sold to Elizabeth Crim, widow of Peter Crim, and her daughter, Catherine Crim of Rockbridge County, Virginia, north half of lot #39 and south half of lot No. 40, containing one half acre which was conveyed to John R. Strayer by Franklin H. Settle and his mother, Elizabeth Settle, by deed dated October 22, 1844 and on record, deed dated February 7, 1845. Deed Book VV, page 24
22 Oct 1850: Elizabeth Crim sold to Catherine Crim that house and two half lots of land known as north half of No. 39 and south half of No. 40, lying between other half of No. 40 and 41, containing one quarter acre.
31 Jan 1853: Thomas B. Woodward and Catherine, his wife, formerly Catherine Crim, of the town of New Market, Shenandoah County, Virginia, but now both of Henry County, Indiana, sold to William A. Hunton of New Market, Virginia, a house and lot being the same conveyed by John R. Strayer to Catherine Crim, now Catherine Woodward, and her mother, Elizabeth Crim.
28 Sep 1892: The W.A. Hunton heirs sold to Mrs. M.A. Climduist and Mrs. Lelia F. Rice a portion of lots no. 39 and 40 on platt of New Market, except part since conveyed to trustees of St. Mathews Church and designated as the parsonage. (Now (1937) owned by Lem Windle)
27 Apr 1893: Mrs. Mellie A. Climduist (sic) sold to Mrs. Amelia Henrietta Henkel the Hunton property.
11 Dec 1894: C.T. Henkel and A.H. Henkel, his wife, sold to James F. Dove.
19 Sep 1899: James M. Dove and Leannah, his wife, sold to Lizzie E. Hottle the Hunton property.Physical Description
This house is of the German type, entrance being flush with the sidewalk, and it has gardens in the rear. The house is very plain, and of unpretentious design, the mantels and fireplaces having been removed during one of its several remodelings. The doors are four panel, one cross, and are nicely grained. The hardware is plain, the floor boards are of medium width and the walls are papered. All windows have been remodeled, although the shutters were retained.Historical Significance
This is one of the oldest houses in New Market, Virginia, and is considered by some to be the oldest.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb