7 Mar 1802: Peter Ross and wife sold to Jacob Rambo, Jr. Deed Book M, page 688
8 Oct 1807: Jacob Gettinger and Barbara, his wife, sold to George Kring property which was conveyed to Jacob Gettinger by Jacob Rambo, Jr. Deed Book 2, page 100
12 Sep 1812: George Kring & Mary Ann, his wife, sold to William Wickes. Deed Book X, page 400
12 Jul 1854: Mary Wickes, widow of the late William Wickes, Serena Wickes, Rebecca L. Wickes, William Wickes and Wilmuth Ann Wickes, his wife, conveyed to James W. Wickes house and lot of which William Wickes, Sr., died seized and possessed. Deed Book 16, page 17
9 Jun 1897: James W. Wickes conveys to his daughter, Mary J. Wickes. Deed Book 18, page 65
Mary J. Wickes, dec'd., in last will and testament devised house and lot in New Market to Robert L. Wickes, Sr., Lula Maxwell, and Sadie Riddleberger. Made Jan. 20, 1933; probated Nov. 14, 1933. Will Book 38, page 329Physical Description
This is a one and one half story L-shaped log house with a metal roof and two inside chimneys. There are nine windows having fifteen panes 6x8 or four panes 16x18. There is a porch on the east side of the ell. The front door is plain and the side door has glass.
There are two large rooms and two small, with the ceiling height being eight feet. The stairs are enclosed. The doors are either six- or two-panel, or batten type.
The walls are plain wide boards in the main part. The hinges are iron and there is an old iron latch and lock which is screwed on the outside of the door. The floor consists of four and six inch boards. The ell used to be the original Baptist Church. The main part of the house was moved from about two miles north on the pike. It was the old Munday home.Historical Significance
The main part of this house was widely known for the fact that an old lady by the name of Munday was said to have made doughnuts and sold them to the stagecoach travelers as they passed through. The ell was originally the first building built for a Baptist Church. When the new church was built, a man by the name of Wickes bought the building and used it for a shop, making stirrups and doing cabinet work. When the Yankees came through they found the stirrups, which had been hidden under the floor, and making a large bonfire, they burned them. Some time shortly after the war, the building was moved across the street and added to the Munday house.
In the R.L. Wickes home across the street is a grandfather's clock which was originally in this house. It was brought over from England by the Wickes. Besides telling the time, it shows the phases of the moon and days of the week. It is like the clock at Mt. Vernon.
One of the family married a William Jennings. William Jennings Wickes was born in Yorkshire, England April 9, 1769. He came to America in September, 1785. The plot of New Market, Va., in 1785, shows that W.J. Wickes owned the lot with log cabin and adjoining lot at that time. It is thought that he bought the land from Savage, who owned most of the land around New Market at that time. The log house was moved there some time in 1850 according to Mr. Robert L. Wickes.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb