27 Nov 1775: Peter Stover and Trainey (sic), his wife, conveyed to Gabriel Sager 375 acres of land which had been granted to Stover by deed from the Prop. office Sept. 13, 1766. Deed Book B, page 263
12 Sep 1803: Gabriel Sager sold to John Barb for 280 lbs. Deed Book N, page 331
1 Jan 1804: John Barb and Mary, his wife, sold to Abraham Sannafrank (sic) for 300 pounds. Deed Book N, page 480
Probated 8 Nov 1830: Abraham Sannifrank (sic) in his last will and testament devised his "place" and all his land to his daughter, Maria Nesselrodt, wife of Lewis Nesselrodt. Made May 26, 1815. Will Book B, page 96
23 Dec 1873: Mary (Maria) Nesselrodt, widow of Lewis Nesselrodt, granted to Noah Nesselrodt. Deed Book 12, page 153
7 Jul 1909: Noah Nesselrodt sold to Lorenzo F. Nesselrodt for $3,100. Deed Book 71, page 592
23 Feb 1912: Lorenzo Nesselrodt and Josephine, his wife, sold to Nathaniel Beedle 449 acres for $2,200. Deed Book 77, page 344Physical Description
This is a one and one half story, oblong log house with one chimney in the center. The weatherboarding is plain. There are twelve windows with four 14x20 panes. The porch has plain solid square posts.
The house has one large room and four small ones. The ceiling height is eight feet. The stairs are cased up. There is one two-panel door and the others are batten type. The walls are of wide boards.
There are old-fashioned long strap hinges screwed into the side of the trim. The floors are of wide boards; above they are beaded and on hand-hewn joists. The mantels have been removed.Historical Significance
This house was built in 1831 by Louis Nesselrodt.
On this place and near the entrance is a large mound which is supposed to have been an old Indian furnace. There are also several Indian graves in the field back of the church. A great many Indian arrowheads have been found, most of them perfect.
On the horse stable is an old combination lock that was used to keep the Indians from stealing the horses. It takes a good thinker to open it even today. The lock is made of wood and a cunning intermingling of iron.
When the house was enlarged a log was placed perpendicular and the other logs mortised into it.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb